Transferring Lightroom catalgue from one machine to another

Name
Barney
Edit My Images
Yes
To solve a problem with wokring with RAW files whislt I was in Edinburgh. I downloaded a trial version of Lightroom to my work laptop. Only problem is, I have done a first pass and flagged most of the best shots I need to transfer them on to my desktop. Is there any way of transferring these shots from my laptop to my desktop and maintaining the flag status?

Or will I always be destined to have to reimport and therefore lose everything?
TIA

Just move the .lrcat file to your desktop.

Now of course then comes the problem. the Catalogue will be looking for your RAWS but wont find them.
how easy this is solved depends on your folder and file organisation.
If your RAWS are scattered all over the place, then you might find it time consuming. All the folders on the left hand side folder browser bit, you can right click and "Locate missing folder"

I have a main "Photography" folder, and then subfolders from here, so in this situation, I could just locate the main folder and all subfolder and files would follow suit.

If the files are scattered just use the export catalog option in the menu, it will let you save the lrcat file, previews, and raw files out to a single folder (y)

Thanks all. The files were all saved in two locations so I've just exported as a catalogue and am now in the process of importing it to my desktop. Transferring over 2000 RAW files is taking it's time! I'll let you know if it's successful.

sorry to jump in on this thread, but i am just about to reformat my HD, how to i export everything in lightroom ie the whole library on to an external HD? is that the .lrcat file?? or the backups or what?

please help

Open LR, go to library
select all photos
file > Export as catalog
follow the prompts

Back