Travel filming - Help getting started with video

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All , im traveling the world using a gopro HD with a number of 'mounts' and monopod, is there any advice on how to get the most professional looking videos , also any advice on software for editing etc? Im a beginner at video and need some help :)

Have you tried reading a book on videography?

There are many ways to make it look more professional including sturdyness, panning, framing just to name a few.

Software, easy ones to get used to are final cut by apple or premiere pro by adobe.

For basic editting, Sony Vegas Movie Strudio HD Platinum 11 (a bit of a mouthful) is around £25 and does the basics.

To look professional.. I'll let you know when I get there myself.. but there are lists of what to do and avoid kicking around the web.
  • Keep the camera as stable as possible, using a tripod when you can or a combination of IS or gimball rigs when you can't. I struggled last week on a rolling boat at sea, I still haven't downloaded the footage yet to check for tha nausea factor.
  • Avoid zooming when filming unless done slowly, evenly and purposefully.
  • Keep pans smooth.
  • Edit. Keep the end result tight, clean and focussed.
  • Keep the transitions simple and consistent. Have a "style" that you work to consistently.
  • Shoot lots. Leave enought overlap at the beginning and end of a sequence to allow for a bit of wobble after hitting record (particularly if the record button isn't well placed) and at the end when you press to stop the recording.
Most of the basics haven't changed with the advent of HD, so even an older book or guide on videography will be useful (I keep referring back to an old freebie guide the Guardian gave a away many years ago). HD only really changed the processing.

Oh, and shoot the highest quality you can. If you have the option always shoot 1080 50p (I'm not sure what the GoPro HD offers). Even if you intend sharing on Youtube/Vimeo/Flickr at 720 25p (their basic HD option) it gives you the option for higher quality later, and the faster frame rate helps for smoother slow-mo sequences.

thills123 said:
Are there any you would recommend? I think I could do with some light reading!

Lol no actually...I'm fortunate enough to have trained (exercise) a couple of very good directors...they taught me everything I know.

I have read some amazing books for photography though so I'm sure if you have a scout around you'll find something!

Back