Critique Traveller series

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
This series of images came about after a chance conversation with my brother (who'd recently returned to the UK after some 40 years of living abroad), when he asked me what a 'traveller' was.
I think my first words were that they were 'riff raff'... however, during the conversation I realised that my prejudice, or judgement of them was in actual fact based on little more than hearsay and outward appearance(having never actually met a traveller, but seen a lot of traveller sites), and in effect all I was doing was passing on my prejudice to another.

So, I decided I needed to become more informed, so that I could decide for myself whether the stigma was justified or whether it was a misconception).
I approached the group and met with Mark, who invited us in for coffee. When I explained to him why we were there, he said to me " I am not a traveller, I am me" ... " You have given me that label"
I've met with Mark and his family a few times now, and have come away with a different mindset, and, these images are my attempt to show my time with them.... (leaving aside the cliché's of 'Don't judge a book by it's cover', or 'Them and us' ).

Doing this series was a big step up for me, as I've not attempted social documentary before.....so I realise that what I've written might not be clear enough to give sufficient context... however, it is a 'work in progress'. And I am happy to accept thoughts and critique on how best to progress.

21157654790_c97f0ac7d6_b.jpg

21347123495_24a3157b14_b.jpg

20755011214_24476db1cd_b.jpg

21320524266_84c2431e71_b.jpg

21347452865_d696c5d5f4_b.jpg

20756653903_014026ceaf_b.jpg

21362434095_68c5a23be0_b.jpg

21362805395_7e38f49d3a_b.jpg

It's the last 2 that do it for me. They put things into context and it's because you have people in the shot. The "social" bit in social documentary.

#1 could be anywhere. On its own it doesn't really stand out for me. #2 clues us in a bit on what this is all about and it's a better representation of your idea. #3 could have been taken by someone out of a car window on the way past. Whilst it's ok as a photo, it doesn't show that "close connection" that implies you are getting involved. #4 & 5 could have been taken anywhere and whilst I can see what you're aiming for, the images seem distanced and disconnected. The same, to a certain extent applies to #6. With no background reference, it's a dog. A nice dog, but still a dog.

The last two shots though are superb. Maybe the last one is a tad over exposed, but that's minor. Both tell an interesting story with human subjects and lots of interesting things in the background that can ask questions. The fresh fruit & veg, the school jersey, the school photo, the biker jacket...

Overall, it's the people shots and your story that make me want to see more on this thread. The outdoor no-people shots add context for sure, but it's the human angle that interests me. Good work, and I hope you continue to pursue this with success.

First of all well done for having the bottle to make contact and get to know Mark.

As projects are best considered as a whole II find it difficult to comment on a selection of pictures from a project at an early stage when you might not have settled on its direction. And that direction is for you to work out yourself IMO. All I can do is add a few thoughts on how to progress.

First of all take more pictures than you think you need. If you are in two minds about a shot take it anyway. It's the final edit that will pull it all together and you don't want to discover there are shots you could have taken that would work, but didn't. Secondly, it might be a good idea to set a deadline for the completion, otherwise it might ramble on. That could just be a fault I suffer from of course! Although if Mark is going to move on that might provide a natural end.

As Ian has said, pictures of people are what engage viewers, and this does seem to be a people story.

I'm looking forward to more.

It's the last 2 that do it for me. They put things into context and it's because you have people in the shot. The "social" bit in social documentary.

#1 could be anywhere. On its own it doesn't really stand out for me. #2 clues us in a bit on what this is all about and it's a better representation of your idea. #3 could have been taken by someone out of a car window on the way past. Whilst it's ok as a photo, it doesn't show that "close connection" that implies you are getting involved. #4 & 5 could have been taken anywhere and whilst I can see what you're aiming for, the images seem distanced and disconnected. The same, to a certain extent applies to #6. With no background reference, it's a dog. A nice dog, but still a dog.

The last two shots though are superb. Maybe the last one is a tad over exposed, but that's minor. Both tell an interesting story with human subjects and lots of interesting things in the background that can ask questions. The fresh fruit & veg, the school jersey, the school photo, the biker jacket...

Overall, it's the people shots and your story that make me want to see more on this thread. The outdoor no-people shots add context for sure, but it's the human angle that interests me. Good work, and I hope you continue to pursue this with success.

Ian, thank you for your detailed reply... I have found it really useful, as one of my concerns with this was that I wasn't sure the best way to approach it. And it helps to hear how others see it. So, I have a lot to ponder.

First of all well done for having the bottle to make contact and get to know Mark.

As projects are best considered as a whole II find it difficult to comment on a selection of pictures from a project at an early stage when you might not have settled on its direction. And that direction is for you to work out yourself IMO. All I can do is add a few thoughts on how to progress.

First of all take more pictures than you think you need. If you are in two minds about a shot take it anyway. It's the final edit that will pull it all together and you don't want to discover there are shots you could have taken that would work, but didn't. Secondly, it might be a good idea to set a deadline for the completion, otherwise it might ramble on. That could just be a fault I suffer from of course! Although if Mark is going to move on that might provide a natural end.

As Ian has said, pictures of people are what engage viewers, and this does seem to be a people story.

I'm looking forward to more.

Dave, thank you for replying. The approaching was the hardest part, and their was an element of suspicion on both our parts...
I had not thought to set a deadline, as I hadn't intended to show anyone the series, I was just taking them and hadn't decided what to do.
I will though, keep in mind your suggestion to take more pictures than I had planned, just in case.

Last two pop right out and smack you in right the mouth.... Superb!

As projects are best considered as a whole II find it difficult to comment on a selection of pictures from a project at an early stage when you might not have settled on its direction.

This! ^^

It's too early. You're not settled yet... neither of you are comfortable yet. Keep meeting with them.. also, go with no camera once in a while... make it known you're genuinely trying to get to know them, not use them. Keep shooting. This is something that will take time to build. Get embedded a little... let them relax around you and vice versa.

True, but social doesn't mean just people. You need context as you say, and that is also showing the environment.. unless that's what you actually mean.

In the first post, I think 2 and 4 are giving great context and are definitely working. 1 and 3 not so much so.

I'd have edited as follows.....

21168454330_52cca1082b_b.jpg

20741586443_435ecb57bd_b.jpg

21729244965_96fc66a1fb_b.jpg

Do not make any decisions yet though. A documentary can be made or broken in the edit . By edit I mean image selection... not all that "post process" b******s.... this needs none of that.

Strong work... keep on it.

also... some of these are a little bright.... I know you're exposures are usually good though Lee, so I suspect a crappy monitor may be part of this equation.

For example... the kid in the helmet looks too bright here. After adjusting to look correct here, I get this.

If that looks too dark at your end, then your screen is set too dark.

This has potential Lee... carry on.

Last edited:
also... some of these are a little bright.... I know you're exposures are usually good though Lee, so I suspect a crappy monitor may be part of this equation.

For example... the kid in the helmet looks too bright here. After adjusting to look correct here, I get this.

View attachment 47143

If that looks too dark at your end, then your screen is set too dark.

This has potential Lee... carry on.

Thank you for the edit...
And no, yours doesn't look too dark, it looks alright. I think I just prefer a slightly over exposed look. Even so, I've saved your edit alongside mine to refer back to.

Also.... because it's a smallish space, and I'm either shooting something with bright light behind(as in them framed in the doorway) and then turning to shoot something in the darker area, I don't have time to make adjustments, so I'm never sure of my settings, and although none of the images have had much in the way of processing, I'm relying on recovering in post instead.

This! ^^

It's too early. You're not settled yet... neither of you are comfortable yet. Keep meeting with them.. also, go with no camera once in a while... make it known you're genuinely trying to get to know them, not use them. Keep shooting. This is something that will take time to build. Get embedded a little... let them relax around you and vice versa.

True, but social doesn't mean just people. You need context as you say, and that is also showing the environment.. unless that's what you actually mean.

In the first post, I think 2 and 4 are giving great context and are definitely working. 1 and 3 not so much so.

I'd have edited as follows.....

21168454330_52cca1082b_b.jpg

20741586443_435ecb57bd_b.jpg

21729244965_96fc66a1fb_b.jpg

Do not make any decisions yet though. A documentary can be made or broken in the edit . By edit I mean image selection... not all that "post process" b******s.... this needs none of that.

Strong work... keep on it.

David thank you for your reply, and for your editing of the images...
I know why I chose number three, as there is some sense of unease when walking past an 'unknown', and that's how I initially felt. On my own, on a quiet country lane etc...

And, becoming embedded... in the area I live, travellers are generally moved on quite quickly, so, Mark has already mentioned that he may not 'be about' much longer. So, I'm stuck with trying to get something to work on, and the feeling that I don't want to use anyone. It's a tricky situation, as I found the approaching someone side of it quite challenging.

David thank you for your reply, and for your editing of the images...
I know why I chose number three, as there is some sense of unease when walking past an 'unknown', and that's how I initially felt. On my own, on a quiet country lane etc...

And, becoming embedded... in the area I live, travellers are generally moved on quite quickly, so, Mark has already mentioned that he may not 'be about' much longer. So, I'm stuck with trying to get something to work on, and the feeling that I don't want to use anyone. It's a tricky situation, as I found the approaching someone side of it quite challenging.

Give him a phone number.. tell him to let you know where he goes.

...it may be worth concentrating on this one family/group. Getting to know a smaller group intimately, rather than trying to capture as much by shooting loads of travellers will be more successful. You'll just end up recording and taking images. Let the viewer get to know THIS group of travellers. IMO.. that will produce more engaging work.

...it may be worth concentrating on this one family/group. Getting to know a smaller group intimately, rather than trying to capture as much by shooting loads of travellers will be more successful. You'll just end up recording and taking images. Let the viewer get to know THIS group of travellers. IMO.. that will produce more engaging work.

Ok, thank you for the suggestion.

Back