Travelling under the Stars

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
What joy to be back out with the camera at night, early this morning after finishing other work I headed out to try out something a little different for me, Ive faked these in the past but this was entirely shot on location with the only real editing trickery just to make it so there was only the one frames worth of light trail for the motorway

Basic settings for this were Canon 5D3 with Samyang 14/2.8 set to f/4 and the exposure was 20 seconds at ISO1600

Travelling under the stars by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Comments and critique are as always welcomed and appreciated

Matt

Really like that Matt - the red trails really pop and make a nice lead in to the star trails.

How many 20s exposures did you end up merging for this?

Cheers Danny, the Reds are really intense, this is made up of 170 x 20s exposures

Yep, nice shot that is mate.
I can't decide if the light on the left hand side of the motorway adds or detracts from the shot slightly but think you've captured it all excellently. Nicely done.

Thanks Mike, I was tempted to remove all the lighting no from the motorway and had it not mostly been from an ambulance I probably would have but I do see what you mean

Anyway, very nice Matt. Good for you getting back out there..! I was busy last night thanks for asking.!? Lol

:D this was an after work special bud, only went as realised it was crystal clear when finishing a disco at midnight, didn't think you'd appreciate a call at that time, especially if you were on an early start :p

However if in the future you'd like stupid o'clock calls I can do :LOL: :LOL:

And thanks

Edit: should also add will be likely doing some after finish light painting tonight, however have no idea yet as I'll be off soon to pick up Darrell from tonight's job, but it's over in South brum tonight so not entirely sure where to go yet

Last edited:
Nice capture Matt, I was thinking the ambulance was detracting the image (iPad) but viewed large on the pc it looks good. Also one of the red trails isn't a trail but a series of red dots. I am thinking that this could be the frequency of the lights but vehicles use DC not like the AC light problems we can get indoors. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Nice capture Matt, I was thinking the ambulance was detracting the image (iPad) but viewed large on the pc it looks good. Also one of the red trails isn't a trail but a series of red dots. I am thinking that this could be the frequency of the lights but vehicles use DC not like the AC light problems we can get indoors. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks Martin, I'm glad that you like it...as to the dotted tail light it will be a car with LED lights, as LED is not a constant light form usually it actually pulses on and off very quickly too fast for the human eye to detect it's going off however the camera can pick it up

Thanks for the reply Matt, I should have known, Pulse Wave Modification on cheap LED's . I did a little research on this when buying a good LED torch . My Fenix PD35 has circuitry built in to overcome this.

Thanks for the reply Matt, I should have known, Pulse Wave Modification on cheap LED's . I did a little research on this when buying a good LED torch . My Fenix PD35 has circuitry built in to overcome this.

Yep exactly so, I actually rather like it as you can actually make some cool detail out...busses are good ones as sometimes you can actually tell the route etc :LOL: :LOL:

Give me a shout next time! I'm always up for a trip out

No...near Rugby, Warwickshire for me ;) though was discussing a trip south soon for a night of light painting etc
Ah I see! Not local then! Yeah let me know and I'll be there! I got plenty of locations down here! Railway tunnels and ww2 guns and plenty of other stuff

Really nice work Matt, technically very good and I like the framing, I can't think of any critique!

Ah I see! Not local then! Yeah let me know and I'll be there! I got plenty of locations down here! Railway tunnels and ww2 guns and plenty of other stuff

All sounds very tempting :D of up to a massive old brick kiln in a couple of months really looking forward to that night even if it does mean a 350 mile round trip for the evening :LOL:

Really nice work Matt, technically very good and I like the framing, I can't think of any critique!

Thanks Jeff, really pleased that you like it

Brick kiln? Is that at swanick?

Oh wow! When you going?

Ah ok! Have fun

Wish I could tag along but Its my sons third birthday weekend at Drayton manor

Wish I could tag along but Its my sons third birthday weekend at Drayton manor

Well that's far more important than any light painting meet (y) I bet a trip to Thomas Land will be in order :)

Well that's far more important than any light painting meet (y) I bet a trip to Thomas Land will be in order :)
Yes it's there that we are going for! He hates peppa pig that's only up the road! But loves the one that's miles away

Yes it's there that we are going for! He hates peppa pig that's only up the road! But loves the one that's miles away

Always they way, I remember when Thomas land opened a few years ago, my little nephew asked my mum when he could come over to stay at our house for a little bit, as my sister lives over in Ireland, my mum asked him why and it was because he wanted to go to Thomas Land :LOL: :LOL:

Always they way, I remember when Thomas land opened a few years ago, my little nephew asked my mum when he could come over to stay at our house for a little bit, as my sister lives over in Ireland, my mum asked him why and it was because he wanted to go to Thomas Land :LOL: :LOL:

Kids eh

that's a stunning image...on my to do list and i hope they turn a fraction as good as this

Thanks Gary, I'm pleased you like it, hope you get to have a go at something like this soon :)

Back