Tray developing sheet film

Edit My Images
Yes
Is it possible to tray develop 4x5 sheet film? I've seen Mod 54, proper developing tanks (Stearman etc) on-line but I've already spent far too much money on equipment this year!

Quick answer - yes. But it might be advisable to wear gloves if there's any chance of a reaction to metol. The old time greats did it that way.

You have to be comfortable working in the dark unless you're using ortho film, and be able to measure time when you can't see a watch.

And, some people avoid that inconvenience by using infra red goggles.

Last edited:
I'm mildly surprised that after six hours no-one pointed out my slip when I said metol above. The correct constituent to avoid is hydroquinone, unless you want to risk dermatitis...

Personally, I wouldn't care to put my hands in some developers, although possibly the side effect of black fingernails from one developer (I think it's amidol, but I'm not sure) might be quite fetching. It was one of the Westons who exhibited this, as seen in at least one photograph.

On the actual technique, it's covered in most books and I dare say there are Youtube videos, but thzt's outside my experience.

I think westons poison was catechol which I also wouldn't like to be exposed to any more than necessary, smells lovely but it's a nasty chemical.

Thanks. The -ol ending sounded right so I picked the wrong developer.

I loved the smell of D163 paper developer personally.

I'm mildly surprised that after six hours no-one pointed out my slip when I said metol above. The correct constituent to avoid is hydroquinone, unless you want to risk dermatitis...

Well, obviously I spotted it but I am much too polite to point it out....;):giggle:

Thank you for sparing my blushes. :)
:jaffa::jaffa::jaffa:

Edit to add:
Note to self: go back to the textbooks and properly refresh on developers, developing agents, and their properties, being especially careful to memorize the names...

Last edited:
Back