Treacle Internet?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Anyone else finding the Internet like ploughing through treacle over the past day or so?
Been really slow for me ... web and email.

Anyone else finding the Internet like ploughing through treacle over the past day or so?

Yep, same here with Vermin media ... Has been crap all weekend.

Ummm no,
no problems here so far

Absolutely fine here, both at home (A&A) and at work (VM).

I love how people say "here" but not where here is and how there internet is fine but not say who the providor is... one useless post after another haha :)

I love how people say "here" but not where here is and how there internet is fine but not say who the providor is... one useless post after another haha :)

Without the info in the original post does it make a difference ?

Yes, my laptop has been running very slowly on startup. I've resorted to running task manager and resource manager on startup so I can see what was hogging the disk, which was reading as 100% occupied for far too long. The main issue for me has been Windows itself loading all kinds of rubbish in the background, such as updating all the various apps, be it news, weather, stupid games or whatever. Basically, I've had to turn everything off that I don't want or need, including status reports back Microsoft. The other disk and memory hog was my preferred browser, Firefox, which seemed to be opening multiple parallel programs, I've stopped that by going into the configuration pages and setting that parameter to 1. All is running much better now except for one Windows program, sedlauncher.exe, which is related to the Windows 10 update procedure and runs daily if it can get away with it.

vm in Reading 168 mb most of the time i know other friends in the outlying towns who get much less but the bigger citys seem ok

fairly normal speeds here in taunton - i think distance to the green street cabinet seems to be the main factor and i have one just outside my block

North West Cheshire, my VM was like cold Custard the other day. It got so bad one day, it turned to ice cream and froze. I had to turn the PC off for a while, to let it de frost. :)

Had about five minutes of downtime late this morning with BT which is the first time I think it's ever gone down. But I did love the error screen telling me to visit a webpage to find out why the internet wasn't working haha, cheeky sods! Kind of like telling someone to call the support line if your phone isn't working.

Then I get this proper p*ss take....

DSC_0578-1024x576.JPG

Screenshot_20181225-112856-768x1365.png

The non-phone version of that page tells you to put a dash in the middle "YVM-104"; that gives you a list of things to do to try and get TV back up.

Mine seems to have got it`s act together today for some unknown reason. VM bromley area (20 I think it is)

43674039.png

The non-phone version of that page tells you to put a dash in the middle "YVM-104"; that gives you a list of things to do to try and get TV back up.

Yeah it tells you that on the phone Chrome as well but you'd think they would be a little more precise lol The best bit is the advice: turn it off then on.

An IT guy I know reckons that many people had slow internet because there was so much video calling going on over commercialmas.

The best bit is the advice: turn it off then on.

Went to get my wheels balanced at a local tyre garage (one man shop) and his machine threw an error code when doing the second wheel. He tried flipping the power switch at the side of the machine on and off a few times but it still threw the code. I looked up the code on my phone and it said to run diagnostics so he tried it but with no success. It also said that the machine may need a new ECU board (cha-ching) so he started flipping the power switch frantically and running the diagnostics many times lol

Was about to give up and I said what about actually pulling the plug out at the wall as maybe there's some residual power hanging on there. You wouldn't bloody believe it but it worked! haha

So I stand corrected, sometimes turning it off and then on does work!

Power cycle is always a working option.....second is kicking it :D

An IT guy I know reckons that many people had slow internet because there was so much video calling going on over commercialmas.

Compared to the rise in hd 4k media consumption at home and on the go I'd say it was likely a drop in the ocean.

But I'd agree with those saying this is really a pointless thread. Sorry op.

Without knowing the area and isp, it's more likely to be oversubscribed exchange for the provider in that area. Especially while everyone is off work and school at the same time.

But I'd agree with those saying this is really a pointless thread. Sorry op.

Without knowing the area and isp, it's more likely to be oversubscribed exchange for the provider in that area. Especially while everyone is off work and school at the same time.

No thread is ever pointless, it may need some additional information, but never pointless. ;)

It would seem that this is not a short term issue for me, with speeds dropping from 8meg to around 3-4meg on a standard (i.e. non-fibre) TalkTalk connection.
After years of good service, a protracted unhelpful series of text service calls has led me to place an order for a fibre connection from an alternative supplier, at slightly less cost.

No thread is ever pointless, it may need some additional information, but never pointless. ;)

It would seem that this is not a short term issue for me, with speeds dropping from 8meg to around 3-4meg on a standard (i.e. non-fibre) TalkTalk connection.
After years of good service, a protracted unhelpful series of text service calls has led me to place an order for a fibre connection from an alternative supplier, at slightly less cost.
fair point :)

good move though (hopefully) the less people that use talk talk the better. complete shower of a company.

fair point :)

good move though (hopefully) the less people that use talk talk the better. complete shower of a company.

I know quite a few folk who would concur with your assessment :)

totally agree, I ended up with them a while back when the took over my ISP
always going slow and then following a powercut caused by a thunder storm I lost connection totally
Customer service was abysmal, they said it was a router fault despite me trying 3 new ones, bet the shop
was pleased I took them back as faulty
Eventually after 2 weeks of no real help, despite promises they said it was a fault in the house abd wanted to
charge me to get it checked.
I cancelled my DD with them as it was due a week later, got and transferred to BT who flicked a switch at the
exchange and had me back in less then a week
TT threatened to sue me for stopping the DD but as I had paid it before I went offline so therefore
they hadn't provided the service, I told them to feel free, they didn't

To be fair my experieence with TT (phone & Internet) over quite a number of years had been virtually without problems and when I did get a problem it was quickly resolved, howwever recently it has been abysmal, hence the change.

TT threatened to sue me for stopping the DD but as I had paid it before I went offline so therefore
they hadn't provided the service, I told them to feel free, they didn't

Just a passing thought but have you checked your credit file to make sure they haven't submitted late payments?

To be fair my experieence with TT (phone & Internet) over quite a number of years had been virtually without problems and when I did get a problem it was quickly resolved, howwever recently it has been abysmal, hence the change.

Mine too, although they can be a pain when things go wrong, thankfully that doesn't happen very often!

Just a passing thought but have you checked your credit file to make sure they haven't submitted late payments?

It was a very long time ago and in response to the letter I sent them stating just that they did reply saying I would get a refund...................of course that didn't happen either
I don't often request credit but my last request for a credit card that I use for internet purchases never met with any problems

Back