triangles (choice of 2)

Edit My Images
Yes
triangles-finalcrop200k.jpg

triangles-final800.jpg

really like the triangles in this shot and how the chap breaks them up, and I also like the plain soft colours. quite like both crops but was wondering which crop others preferred.

thanks for looking as always

I think the first crop works better, I dont feel that the dead space at the bottom of the second adds anything compositionally. You are right about the colours, and the triangles work well.
My only criticism would be that it looks like there are some drastic oversharpening artefacts on the guys face in the first one. It looks like what happens when I push the sharpening slider in lightroom all the way up. I think its noticeable close to a couple of the diagonal lines in the shot as well.

thanks for the reply and comments. I know what you mean about the sharpening haloes. it's because it was taken high iso and so had to reduce the noise and then sharpen a fair bit to show up the lines a little more. will have a play with it to soften the roughness a touch. thanks again.

Agree on the Sharpening and the Noise, a bit distracting.

I like the first better, and I like diagonals in photos, they can lead your eyes to what you want the viewer to focus on. However, in this case the diagonals all lead you to the left of the picture, but the person is on the right.

Also, it would be more normal to leave the dead space in front of the way the person is facing, as it makes you feel that he is moving into that space.

So, in an ideal world, this would have worked better if the person was going up the escalator, facing left, moving left, and going to where the lines converge on the left.

Just my opinion, but hopefully explaining how "my" composition could have looked, gives you food for thought next time, in similar situations.

Thanks for the reply and comments. I think I made a mess of the very last step of the sharpening process before posting online so will post another version. General theory does indeed suggest space for someone to move in to, as most sources of photography theory will suggest, but at the same time, placing someone or thing on the far right, as here, asks the viewer to consider where the subject has been, as opposed to where he is going. I haven't invented the theory, honestly! I read quite a few books and online sources of photography theory etc, and it's a technique used fairly often, but not in all cases, such as motorsports etc.

Thanks again. Will sort the sharpness as it's just a mistake prior to posting online.

Hi, better, but I'm still getting haloes around the guy's head, especially the hair, and also the 2 black diagonals, and the top chrome bar.

What is causing you to have to sharpen it this much? Is the original that soft? Camera shake?

Nothing really. No camera shake or lack of focus. Seems ok on my system but I can see what you mean when looking online so maybe it's there but exaggerated by compression. Will start with the raw I think and have another crack. Strange how the noise reduction would cause it. Must be something I have done on final edit. Or may must selectively soften those areas to save the pain of starting again. . .

Thanks again

Back