Triathlon Events

M

Marik

Ok howdy chaps I require some advice;

Basically, my dad does regular triathlon events and I though that I would go down and take some photos, I have never done a real event before, so what do you recommend, what angles? what shots should I be going for, I have absolutly no idea at all, so treat me as a pancake :D

Kit: 350d, kit lens, 70-200 + 1.4xtc, not much, but it's good for zoos!

Cheers in advance <3

Dan

My lads into this. What are the events, swimming, running and cycling?

Well I haven't actually covered one of these 'Iron Man' things yet so I'm just guessing. It's usually swim first, then the running and the cycling last I think.

I'd imagine you're only going to get decent swimming shots close to the waters edge, probably entering or leaving the water. I'd tend to go for a reasonably long tele or zoom for the running and cycling to isolate people from the background, maybe something wider to show the overall scene at the start and so on.

The biggest problem is probably going to be scooting around the track by car or whatever to keep getting in front of the runners/riders, particlarly if you're going to be concentrating on your old man?

Yeah, the plan is to mainly keep on dad. I'm thinking, pics of people entering/exiting water (as you suggested) then maybe ones at the transition periods? then due to lack of car etc, run to the next tranisition period to hopefully catch the end bit of run/bike, then get a plane to the finish line. :(

Cheers for replies btw Ct, most hopeful, I think I will mainly use my 70-200 Sigma tbh

Maybe try to get some close ups of the pain and suffering they are going through,
swim.jpg

I'd think the zoom will be your best bet, but don't rule out someting shorter or wider... there's a lot of changing and preparation between events, so plenty of opportunities there I'd guess?

Graham tried far too hard in the swim a couple of weeks ago and kept up with the leading nutters. He kept getting his goggles kicked off and he was punched black and blue in the melee towards the end. LOL It cost him in his times on the run and the cycling though.

A 72 year old woman was putting a lot of the guys to shame. :LOL:

Crazy event!

Haha, oldies ftw :p

I've never been to one before, so not sure what to expect tbh

great events to watch, swimming, cycling,and running i'm sure in that order, the trasitions are very fast so you will need to be quick of the mark with your changing of len,s, channel 5 used show quite a lot of these events late at night early hours of the morning time.

Ah, fast hmmm, might be a problem at that time in the morning :(

It's a 7:30 start :p

Back