tricks to quick focus etc

Name
Bryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone :)

Off to a show on Sunday and looking to get some pictures of the event whilst wondering about. Now my Yashica is nice and easy - Point focus shoot all done for me :love:

My new Practika on the other hand has metering, but I have to set shutter speed and its strictly manual focus - How on earth do you guys get these action shots using gear like this? By the time i've managed to confirm focus and checked shutter speed - cobwebs have usually formed on the subject :LOL:

Now i know practice is the key thing but is there any tricks to help me along the way?

Cheers

Bry

Yeah, use faster film!

Pre-focus the lens using hyperfocal focusing. A technique almost long forgotten in these digital times, but it works really well. I do that for street photography where there's little time for even autofocus to capture "the moment".

Use 400ASA film, rate at 800 if necessary. That should be good for at least f11 unless you're in real gloom so plenty of DoF. Work out whether you're doing people - 4 metres and under - or further away. Look at the markings on your lens barrel and get the Tippex out if you can't remember: 1 ) close, 2 ) far.
Point. Click. In sunny weather the same works for 100ASA.

Depends what lens you're using really.... with my wide stuff at F8 or so I can mostly guess where focus in and there's enough DOF to get away with it..... go to the infinity stop and back off a little.....

Its a Tattoo/Arts convention so plenty of stuff going on and usually not a lot of time to focus on things (my speed is terrible :()

The lens im using is a Sigma - 80 to 200 F4.5-F22

I can set the shutter speed at a ruff guess as people suggest so at least I should be fairly close - afterall film is slightly more forgiving then digital on exposure. The main holdup is snapping the lens into focus before what im looking at has moved on :eek:

Bry

I can set the shutter speed at a ruff guess as people suggest so at least I should be fairly close - afterall film is slightly more forgiving then digital on exposure. The main holdup is snapping the lens into focus before what im looking at has moved on :eek:

Bry

:shrug: why do you not know what speed to set? I don't understand.
As for file being more forgiving I have to disagree on that one.
As for focusing you have your hand on your focusing ring as you look in your viewfinder adjust and press when you got what you want in sight.

80mm is plenty long enough for that kind of stuff, then move your feet closer. Even indoors uprated 400ASA should be giving you f8 at 1/60th which will be okay for snapped shots and you can save proper focus for the close stuff. Tat fans are usually willing to pose with their pride and joy.

:shrug: why do you not know what speed to set? I don't understand.
As for file being more forgiving I have to disagree on that one.
As for focusing you have your hand on your focusing ring as you look in your viewfinder adjust and press when you got what you want in sight.

Conventions take place in multiple rooms under all different lighting, I manually set shutter speed and metering is done via a different button. Trivial I know but when going from shooting with a D50 that meters and sets shutter speed at a touch of a button, it takes some getting used to ;)

I can educate a guess as an average and then fine tune per photo but sometimes there isn't time.

80mm is plenty long enough for that kind of stuff, then move your feet closer. Even indoors uprated 400ASA should be giving you f8 at 1/60th which will be okay for snapped shots and you can save proper focus for the close stuff. Tat fans are usually willing to pose with their pride and joy.

Hey - I currently have some 200ASA Loaded which is my fear - Might need to change that before I go. :)

Glad you're getting use out of the Praktica mate (y)

It is possible - practice is key. It's a little easier with digital I suppose, but I've recently managed some half decent BIF shots with a MF lens so I'm sure you'll get there. I've been pre - metering and then simply I just concentrate on the focusing when the action is happening. It is a bit hit and miss on a DSLR so I suppose you're up against it, but they managed ok when your camera was new so it must be possible!

Glad you're getting use out of the Praktica mate (y)

It is possible - practice is key. It's a little easier with digital I suppose, but I've recently managed some half decent BIF shots with a MF lens so I'm sure you'll get there. I've been pre - metering and then simply I just concentrate on the focusing when the action is happening. It is a bit hit and miss on a DSLR so I suppose you're up against it, but they managed ok when your camera was new so it must be possible!

Hey :)

Loving the camera - Already put one roll of film up and posted up on here (Not much feedback :nono::LOL:)

I know they managed when it come out, thats why I find it frustrating that I can't do it lol, general consensus seems to be, pre-meter when entering the area, and then concentrate on the focus like my life depends on it :LOL:

Bry

have you got a focussing screen on the camera? its really simple and quick once you got the hang of it. and providing you have enough DoF, a few cms out of focus here or there aint gonna make the heavily pierced and tatooed goth look any worse. :LOL:

Which model of Praktica have you got, BX20,BC1, BC3,B200, BCX all these have Aperture priority.
You set the aperture you need, turn the shutter dial to Automatic then just concentrate on the focussing.

John:)

Which model of Praktica have you got, BX20,BC1, BC3,B200, BCX all these have Aperture priority.
You set the aperture you need, turn the shutter dial to Automatic then just concentrate on the focussing.

John:)

Never quite made it to the MTL5 though ... :LOL:

There used to be a handy scale on SLR lenses that told you what was in focal range for a given aperture. Prakiticas are of that era surely?

MTL5B :p

Ive come to the conclusion I just need to sort myself out lol, set a ruff guide of shutter speed and adjust if necessary (hopefully not) and learn to focus quicker :LOL:

Back