Tried Manual

Name
CAROL
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a go with manual as I usually go with AV! Mixed results but overall Im pleased I had a go and will probably carry on until I have it cracked. All hand held I forgot to take my tripod!

these are two of my better ones c and c most welcomed, thanks
cas

3917745792_63b9c03ced_b.jpg

3916953821_9234e5eea7_o.jpg

3917840854_924988048f_o.jpg

3917051339_c0c05ac9f2_o.jpg

Good set Carol, Nice tones with some good poses.

No 2 works best for me but for my taste would prefer a tad more space at the top. The fg twig in the Chaffinch shot I find a little distracting where it goes over its breast - had you considered cloning it out? Like wise for the raindrop on the wingtip of no 4. Very nice detail in no 1 but I think you could still apply a bit more sharpening to bring some more detail out.

I agree with Tom, for hand held shots you have done very well.

thanks, I have just bought cs3 too, Im on a huge learning curve now, below is another one from yesterday,

I see what you mean Tom about more space, this is just the type of help I need thanks so much.

below are a couple I have had a go at and one of the blue tit with more spac around it.

3918474859_6fe9d8112b_o.jpg

3918474639_d1ec5381aa_o.jpg

3919259402_74b0a36832_o.jpg

Well you have done well Carol, I think it is down to personal choice what you feel comfortable with, I myself choose AV. You will still end up pushing buttons and making adjustments whilst taking pictures either way :shrug:

The edits on the Chaffinch the breast clone works a lot better as does the cloning out of the raindrop at the wing tip in no old 4. The cloning of the twig by the tail tip in 3 & 4 [old] doesn't work for me would look better to either leave it in or remove it completely.

The Blue Tit in the new no 4 I consider would be better if there was more space on the rh side. Not working from my usual screen at the moment but the cheek/head area looks a tad blown and a little PP to reduce these blown areas would improve the image.

Hope that helps, and again this is just my comments - am sure you will get other thoughts from others here.

You will still end up pushing buttons and making adjustments whilst taking pictures either way :shrug:

Good point and after doing embroidery you should find that easy. :D

Use AV myself unless the conditions are poor.

The edits on the Chaffinch the breast clone works a lot better as does the cloning out of the raindrop at the wing tip in no old 4. The cloning of the twig by the tail tip in 3 & 4 [old] doesn't work for me would look better to either leave it in or remove it completely.

The Blue Tit in the new no 4 I consider would be better if there was more space on the rh side. Not working from my usual screen at the moment but the cheek/head area looks a tad blown and a little PP to reduce these blown areas would improve the image.

Hope that helps, and again this is just my comments - am sure you will get other thoughts from others here.

thanks Tom, I see what you mean, Yes it helps loads, Im only just getting to grips with many aspects of photography, Im determined to improve, and its replies such as yours that point out the mistakes im making (y)

Well you have done well Carol, I think it is down to personal choice what you feel comfortable with, I myself choose AV. You will still end up pushing buttons and making adjustments whilst taking pictures either way :shrug:

thanks, yes but how would I know if under or over exposed, i have tried guessing and Im no good at it :bonk:

thanks Tom, I see what you mean, Yes it helps loads, Im only just getting to grips with many aspects of photography, Im determined to improve, and its replies such as yours that point out the mistakes im making (y)

I would say its not a case of mistakes. The basic shots you posted here are good - it wasn't that long ago I would have been quite chuffed to have got them - its more a case of little points in how the image is presented.

I find that you can work on an image and you get 'use' to it during PP, think its OK and then post it here and a different pair of eyes will pick up something you just overlooked. Its just a different viewpoint. I suspect that if you posted these on a different forum you would get a different range of constructive comments and advice.

Just keep working at it and posting here to get some feedback and your photography will develop very quickly.

I would say its not a case of mistakes. The basic shots you posted here are good - it wasn't that long ago I would have been quite chuffed to have got them - its more a case of little points in how the image is presented.

I find that you can work on an image and you get 'use' to it during PP, think its OK and then post it here and a different pair of eyes will pick up something you just overlooked. Its just a different viewpoint. I suspect that if you posted these on a different forum you would get a different range of constructive comments and advice.

Just keep working at it and posting here to get some feedback and your photography will develop very quickly.

Thanks Tom, I will, I am seeing things now I wouldnt have noticed a few months ago, I am spending more and more time with my photography now and seeing the progress (y)

thanks, yes but how would I know if under or over exposed, i have tried guessing and Im no good at it :bonk:

:) Well Carol I just keep my eye on the histrogram after each shot, keeping it to the left or central. This again might be a point for debate as some say keeping it to the right is better :shrug: Either way if shooting Raw then you can easily iron out any small errors.The good thing about photograhy is that you can be a nonconformist :D Certainly read and take advise about what you should be doing to get that perfect picture, but remember there is quite a margin either side of that for experimenting with. Nobody will be taking the same shot as you under indentical lighting conditions etc.

:) Well Carol I just keep my eye on the histrogram after each shot, keeping it to the left or central. This again might be a point for debate as some say keeping it to the right is better :shrug: Either way if shooting Raw then you can easily iron out any small errors.The good thing about photograhy is that you can be a nonconformist :D Certainly read and take advise about what you should be doing to get that perfect picture, but remember there is quite a margin either side of that for experimenting with. Nobody will be taking the same shot as you under indentical lighting conditions etc.

thanks, I will have a go next weekend, I have bought a great book understanding exposure, Im slowly working my way through it. I must admit I find getting crit on here more valuable

I agree with all the comments made above re space around the birds and one or two details, but overall they are great shots considering this was an experiment with manual :)

I allways stick to AV as well for wildlife, only changing to TV or Manual for inside shots and night time.

Back