Tried out the new Panosonjc Lumix today

Edit My Images
Yes
This is Abby pointing a pigeon. Trying to figure out this Panosonic Lumix, it is a pain in the tail! If they would have left out all the advanced junk and dump the video this would be a really nice camera. I'd have paid the same for it, maybe more if I didn't have all the trouble getting to this point! Trying to figure out the focus no, her eyes are soft!

1688360173719.jpeg

To be honest, there's not much that looks right there. Doesn't look at all like a photo I would expect to see from the Panasonic.

It has eye-detect, and tracking which are easy to use and quite effective, though I tend to use point focus more.

Here's the full manual (different to the basic one that comes with the camera) in case you don't have it https://tda.panasonic-europe-servic.../data/ALL/DMCTZ100EB/OI/950988/dvqp1246za.pdf

To be honest, there's not much that looks right there. Doesn't look at all like a photo I would expect to see from the Panasonic.

It has eye-detect, and tracking which are easy to use and quite effective, though I tend to use point focus more.

Here's the full manual (different to the basic one that comes with the camera) in case you don't have it https://tda.panasonic-europe-servic.../data/ALL/DMCTZ100EB/OI/950988/dvqp1246za.pdf
Thaank you. I'll give it a read.

While you are getting used to it, try out the iA setting, I very rarely use it, but others do with some great results. It may (depending on the scene) detect you have an animal or a person in the frame and automatically select face or eye focus, and if the animal/person is moving, it will adjust shutter speed (and aperture and ISO to match).

ah ok sorry, looks like I am missing some context, I didn't know of his recent purchase.

my next question would be if the picture is cropped a lot?

Or if it was RAW and not processed.

It looks uncharacteristic of that range of cameras, I believe it was not a new camera, so maybe a full reset to ensure that no unknown settings have been made.

Well I've had it. Gonna sell it and recover what I can. Been looking all over the internet and I'm sure someone has something I could work with but highly suspect of everything right now. I have to say about this panosonic, best looking point and shoot I've seen and feels like really well made. Simply way over engineered for me!

Well I've had it. Gonna sell it and recover what I can. Been looking all over the internet and I'm sure someone has something I could work with but highly suspect of everything right now. I have to say about this panosonic, best looking point and shoot I've seen and feels like really well made. Simply way over engineered for me!
But what really is the problem?

I'm not sure I understand it :)

Panasonic are one of the easiest to use, you don't need to worry about the "advanced" features if you don't want to.

Sorry to hear you feel like that, but what does it not do?

Well took it out yesterday and somehow flipped on the video and then couldn't shut it off. Doesn't focus well at all. several different focus deals in it and I don't have a clue which one I'm using. I wouldn't be surprised to discover it's a good camera, best looking one I've seen and built strong but was programed by nucular engineneers! Tried reading the manual and didn't learn a thing other than how backward i am. Tried the same wuth the one you sent me and same thing, no idea what they are talking about. Tried to get ahold of their customer support and can't get them.

OK, you may like to try this.

Press the menu button, then press the left button to highlight the icons on the left. Press the down button until the spanner (not the spanner with the C, the lone spanner) is selected. Then press the right button to move the highlight to the options on the right of the screen.
Then press the down button until RESET is highlighted, and press the Menu/OK button, when it asks reset REC settings, select yes and press the Menu/OK button.

Then go back to the RESET option, and answer NO to the reset REC question, NO to network, and YES to the one about Face Recognition and custom profile.

Takes many times longer to write it than actually do it :)

( the words may not be exactly the same, going from memory)

Then turn it off and back on again.

Select the iA position on the main mode dial and try a few photos.
If you feel like having a bit more control, such as exposure compensation, try the P mode.

I wouldn't worry about focus mode until you find you are getting good photos but need just that extra.

If that helps, could give a similar procedure for focus mode when you need it.

No reset on this camera. My Nikon has a reset switch! Found reset in the next spanner down. Gonna try this tomorrow and let ya know! Thanks a lot!

just did Stormy and Abby up close with the flash. Eyes in focus and no red eye! Looking better!

Last edited:
I've had the TZ100 and at shorter focal distances it was great but the longer you zoomed it got quite soft. Still a very capable compact camera though. I now use the sony rx100 vii which is a lot sharper and the focus system is by far the best I have used on a compact camera but it does come at a price.

Got help from Sangoma and got this today. Think it's a huge improvement over what I was getting. He went out of his way! I owe this guy!

Attachments

• 1688542578103.jpeg
    1688542578103.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 1688542874007.jpeg
    1688542874007.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
This first photo is an old wooden cylo on the old Smith Ranch here near Antelope. Getting smoke from two major forest fires in southern and central Oregon so effected to photo pretty bad. Yesterday I couldn't see to the other side or the road by my house!

DSC_5338 (2).JPG

Took this next photo today with my d7000 and Tamron 18-200 lens. Still a lot of smoke but has let up just a little! Next photo is old shed where Earl Smith used to raise Pheasant's.

1692653133521.png

Back