Trigger SB800 with Godox XPro-N

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I have a godox xpro n, and want to know what else I would need to use to wireless trigger my SB800 and another non godox flash?

Thank you

A Godox flash/strobe unit. Then you could slave the other two to it.

The XPro will only adjust the settings on the Godox unit though . . .

Thank you.

So, like the yn622n and 622n tx I can use with any flash, the same is not possible with godox xpro n?

I believe there are xt-r recovers but not sure if they can be used with the xpro n to control the flash?

I don't know of those - sorry.

Godox use their own proprietary 2.4GHz frequency/codes. The XPro is the transmitter (obviously) and will trigger the Godox flash.

Providing the other flashes will work as optical slaves, then they will fire milliseconds after the Godox one does (effectively the same time). :)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies.

Reactions: Sky
Yes, I use an X1R N attached to my sb910. Strangely enough I have to set the flash to ‘master’ and then I can change the power settings on the flash from the xpro trigger. Doesn’t seem to work any other way. Of course I could be doing it wrong lol

Yes, I use an X1R N attached to my sb910. Strangely enough I have to set the flash to ‘master’ and then I can change the power settings on the flash from the xpro trigger. Doesn’t seem to work any other way. Of course I could be doing it wrong lol
That’s logical.
when the flash is ‘master’ it takes commands through the hotshoe (where the receiver is attd). When in slave mode, it’s expecting instructions through its own wireless receiver (true whether optical or radio).

That’s logical.
when the flash is ‘master’ it takes commands through the hotshoe (where the receiver is attd). When in slave mode, it’s expecting instructions through its own wireless receiver (true whether optical or radio).

Yes Nikon flashes will take *TTL* data through the hot shoe in Master mode but only because it still performs as an on-camera flash in master mode, and then *only* if you set the Master flash to TTL. It's not good practice to do this though, as in master mode, that flash will also start sending out optical commands to non-existent remote flashes and it may not fire the actual flash at the right time. You should set your flash to "ON" and "TTL" to use it with a 3rd party radio receiver. TTL is the only mode that accepts data through the hot shoe (in manual mode, the flash power is set on the flash, the camera plays no part in it). Nikon flashes only work at all on 3rd party radio receivers because they think they are on the camera. So, even if your X-Pro trigger is set to drive that flash in manual, it does this by sending the appropriate TTL commands to arrive at the manual power you dialed in.

I've sold most of my SB900's now and have moved to an all Godox setup for location shooting: 1 x AD200, 2 x V860MKII and the older Safari II - which is 100% compatible with the X-Pro trigger with the updated 2.4GHz radio fitted. With all the radios built in, it takes much less time to set up, and there are fewer sets of batteries to worry about, and fewer components in the trigger chain.

very interesting Scooter. I'll try that tomorrow. Think I'll set flash and trigger to ttl then do a tcm "conversion". ?
All my other lights are Godox studio strobes, I've considered selling the 910

Last edited:
very interesting Scooter. I'll try that tomorrow. Think I'll set flash and trigger to ttl then do a tcm "conversion". ?
All my other lights are Godox studio strobes, I've considered selling the 910

You don't need to do anything special on the trigger. The flash needs to be in TTL mode and "ON" (or "Master" but that's not really recommenced) rather than remote to receive signals through the hot-shoe (as Phil said - in remote an SB910 is expecting optical signals from a master flash). You can use the flash in manual or TTL by setting this on the trigger. Even when you set it to "manual" on the trigger - the the X1R-N receiver is using the Nikon TTL protocol to set the power. You don't need to think about this - or even know this is happening - it's just the explanation why the flash needs to be "ON", rather than "Remote" and in TTL mode.

Use it in TTL, Manual, and even press the Turner Classic Movies button to convert the TTL values to manual settings - it all works ;)

Finally got around to trying this, and it works just dandy..Flash in TTL and trigger in manual the power can indeed be changed by the Xpro.
The flash itself stills reads TTL and doesn't reflect any changes but that doesn't matter at all.
With the trigger in ttl then a tcm conversion the manual settings go straight to 1/1 but that doesn't matter either.
thanks again (y)

Finally got around to trying this, and it works just dandy..Flash in TTL and trigger in manual the power can indeed be changed by the Xpro.
The flash itself stills reads TTL and doesn't reflect any changes but that doesn't matter at all.
With the trigger in ttl then a tcm conversion the manual settings go straight to 1/1 but that doesn't matter either.
thanks again (y)

Hi, thanks for this. I have the SB700 and SB910

So just to confirm, if I purchase the Godox Xpro-N and 2 Godox X1R-N I will be able to set them both up on TTL - then convert Transmitter from TTL to Manual and be able to adjust them from the Godox Xpro transmitter?

Also, as the Godox Xpro lacks the ability for a flash to be added to the camera, is this a huge drawback? Thank you

Hi, thanks for this. I have the SB700 and SB910

So just to confirm, if I purchase the Godox Xpro-N and 2 Godox X1R-N I will be able to set them both up on TTL - then convert Transmitter from TTL to Manual and be able to adjust them from the Godox Xpro transmitter?

Yes. You can either apply TTL compensation at the trigger or do one exposure in TTL and them press the TCM button and dial the power of each group up and down in manual. You can put both X1R-N receivers in the same group, or in separate groups to control them independently. The flashes need to be set to "On" and TTL (regardless of what you select on the trigger).

Also, as the Godox Xpro lacks the ability for a flash to be added to the camera, is this a huge drawback? Thank you

Not for me, but if you do want a flash on the camera as well, the X2T-N has a pass-through hot shoe on it. It's more fiddly to use as the smaller display is on the back. It does have Bluetooth though - which allows you to take flash pictures with your phone...

Back