Trip to Kenya & Ethiopia

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
As a new recruit to photography I would welcome suggestions as to what kit I should acquire for a (mainly business) trip to Kenya & Ethiopia in December. I will have some free time both in cities and also rural areas - Lake Naivasha and Lake Ziway. I already have a Canon EOS 400D with kit lens.

Depends largely on your budget...

• A sun hat :) - helps prevent heat stroke and also cuts down the glare so you can see what you are shoooting
  • Filters : Poleriser (CPL), ND4 ... Cokin ND grads - A good investment (but remember change your lens or get new ones and they may nolonger fit!)
  • a longer lens : 70-300 frinstance Idea - <£150, but then do your own reasearch here for what you want/need.
  • A padded camera back: I've always used one that is either a "bumbag" or a rucksack. You carry it onto the plane with you.

However, as advice I'd say - apart from the hat. Get to know how to use what you've got before splashing out. The kit lens is not the best, but it does the job. The 400D has more knobs and twiddlers than a leopard ha spots.

NB: 'ware the kit - My stuff started like this as a snapper and progressed to the current "small family car" valuation.

Thanks, guys, for the sound advice.

Even if you think you have a good gear bag ... take some black bin liners to bung the lot in ... for when travelling off metalled roads ... the dust WILL get in everywhere ...:D

Also useful for bagging your clothes up when travelling too ... awful lot of dust you will be wearing if you don't ... unless your bags stay in the hotel all the visit ...:shrug:

By the by ... for Lake Naivasha (awesome place ...!) and possibly Lake Ziway ... you will need a tripod and either a good WA or long tele/zoom ... and as the light is generally excellent most of the time a good tele/con will be a boon ... imo ...:p

As has been said ... there is no substitute for being wholly familiar with your gear afore ye go ...(y)

Oh ... and never let it out of your sight ... never ...:cautious:

Loads of memory........lots of small cards (eg 1G or 2G max) rather than one large card. Better to loose a few, than everything. Also....shoot RAW; if you are new to DSLR's then you are better placed to rescue mistakes if you do.

Most important.....ENJOY it, you lucky so and so:LOL:

And some portable storage as well unless you intend taking a Lappy with you to edit on the go.

Something like a Jobo Giga-vu (sic?) or Smartdisk Flashtrax.

I've been away for a few days. It's nice to see more comments and useful hints have been posted in the meantime. Thanks to all.

Back