Beginner Trip to the Orkney Islands

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
My family are originally from the Orkney's and I try to get back every few years. When I was back last year I shot 'a lot' of images. Wanted to share a small selection. Let me know what you think...good and bad!

On the Ferry
orkney-boat.jpg

The Italian Chapel
orkney-chapel.jpg

I like the out to sea photo, but the other ones in colour appear to me a bit too vivid especially the Blues.

Looks a nice place and somewhere that's on my list of places to visit.

The Italian Chapel shot is certainly a new slant on a well-known location, but I'm not so sure about the amount of plantlife in the foreground hiding part of the building. B&W is an interesting choice, but I think the colours are a part of the chapel. The flatness of the Fields shot gives a decent impression of what Orkney is like, but you've paired it well with the cliff shot below for contrast. A head for heights would have maybe got you a bit closer to the edge, although perhaps you could crop some of the grass out at the bottom to give more emphasis to the monument? I've been to orkney on business, but never managed the holiday there that I've promised myself.

The Italian Chapel shot I quite like. Maybe a square crop to get rid of about half of the foreground would improve it further.

The Marwick Head crop is too severe IMO. Try cropping below the thrift on the left hand side but don't crop too close, leave a little breathing space. Just my thoughts of course.

Back