Tripod Advice Needed

Name
Graham Dale
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to decide what tripod to buy and was hoping to get some advice from some of the more experienced photographers in this forum. I use a canon 400d with sigma 150-500mm lens and most of my photography outings are for wildlife (birds in particular). My budget depends on what price the shop I choose to purchase from will give me in exchange for my Olympus SP550 ultra zoom, I will also use around £100 on top (any more and my Mrs will kill me !) Most people I have spoken to have suggested Manfrotto, gitzo and slik models and most say to go for carbon fibre, but on my budget I am not sure this is possible. However I dont want to buy a tripod that is cheap and not up to the job, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot to mention, the other thing I am unsure of is the type of tripod head that would suit.

Will anyone take a digital camera as a trade in these days?

Apart from that if you want a decent Manfrotto to take that lens I think you're looking at a couple of hundred pounds without a head, though of course you can get much cheaper. Redsnapper do a reasonably priced tripod but you'll need to hear from someone else if it's stable enough.

It may be worth investigating the Calumet tripods.

I currently have their heavy Duty Monopod with their standard 3 way head on it and a Monfrotton 055xProb (I think that's it anyway) with a Calumet Standard 3 way head.

Their Tripods and monopods all appear to look very similar to Manfrotto's...eg same QR plate same leg locks etc.

have a look on www.calumetphoto.co.uk

Cheers

R

If you need any questions asked...I am probably going to Calumet in a bit. let me know and I will find someone there to ask the questions.

I know their head will support your camera and lens as is happy with my 40d and sigma 50-500

Richard, thanks for your help, just looking at the Manfrotto you mentioned. I have decided to call in at London Camera Exchange to have a hands on with the tripod, they will also give me a price for the camera I want to exchange. Worth seeing what they offer. The specs of the Manfrotto 055xProb certainly seem to be what I am looking for. Any tips on what type of head is best suited for bird photography ?

Personally I dont do much Bird photography, but suspect there are many better placed people on this forum who would be able to advise better. I have never had a prob with a 3 way head...Manfrotto heads are all pretty good...but do cost quite alot. Dont forgot to take your camera and lens with you to mount onto the tripod and head to see how it all feels and balances.

Sorry can't be more help than that

Richard, thanks for your help, just looking at the Manfrotto you mentioned. I have decided to call in at London Camera Exchange to have a hands on with the tripod, they will also give me a price for the camera I want to exchange. Worth seeing what they offer. The specs of the Manfrotto 055xProb certainly seem to be what I am looking for. Any tips on what type of head is best suited for bird photography ?

RC322. Joystick and ball combination gives great flexiblility for tracking and locking. Bought one few weeks back and am lovin' it. :)

I use a Manfrotto 055xProb and a 322RC2 head. Have a look you might be pleasantly surprised. Good luck

After looking at a few tripods and heads I decided on the Velbon Sherpa Pro CF-630 with PH-157Q Head, I got £80 for my olympus sp550 ultra zoom and then paid £100 on top, I'm really pleased with it, hope to get some pics on here soon, thanks for the advice guys, although I didnt go for the Manfrotto in end I really do appreciate the comments and tips. Nice to get good sound advice and not have people laugh at your available budget, the last forum i used was very "clicky" and didnt seem to have anything positive to say. I'm really enjoying this forum and finding it a great help. Thanks again guys.

FFordes have a couple of 'frotto carbon pods in their used sale.

Back