Tripod Advice Required

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Hama Gamma74 tripod at the moment, which I'm quite happy with in all respects apart from one - it's tall enough, it's sturdy enough, and all that but the tray is not level...

So, walking past a 2nd hand shop I spotted a couple of tripods in there. A Velbon DV6000 for £39 and a Monfrotto of some description for £49. I think it's a 055D. I preferred the feel of the Manfrotto, plus the fact that the legs can be set as wide apart as you need...

However, the head on it wouldn't go level either. I'm not sure what model - looking at the Manfrotto website, it looks like it's a 390RC2 Pan head.

Are either of these worth going for, over my existing tripod? I'm tempted by the Manfrotto, but would need another head for it, I suppose...

Thanks

Chris

Worth it if I can get the Manfrotto for a tenner or £15 less ? Cos obviously, I'll have to buy a new head as well...

whats wrong with the 390 head? dont know what you mean by 'wont go level'

trip said:
whats wrong with the 390 head? dont know what you mean by 'wont go level'

If the tripod is stood straight and you were to fix the camera to it, the camera wouldn't be parallel to the ground. You can see the amount of error just by looking at the head. My Hama tripod is the same - but the head on that isn't changeable.

mine certainly goes level to the ground, plus a bit more just in case. sounds like a dodgy head. you can pick up a ball and socket hed for £40 new, less on ebay. well worth going for the manfrotto, it will last for years.

Get the Manfrotto and then buy a new head.

I have the 390 head on my 190 and tbh it's not the best of heads, it can be a pain sometimes getting it to stay secure with a heavy set up on.
By heavy i'm talking

sigma 70-200f2.8
20d with battery grip
430ex

One day when i can justify it, i'll get one of those fancy pistol grip jobs.

Cool, thanks. I'll try and talk the guy down from the (obviously exhorbitant!) £49 he wants to get for it! (y)

Go for it, I've got the 190db and the 390 rc2 head, with a bit of practise you'll get it level, it's actually a video head, but you'll be able to pick up a secondhand ball or three wayer from somewhere. ;)

I believe the 055 is exactly the same as the ever popular 190 in every way except it is taller. Id go for it.

the legs of the 055 are a bit thicker than the 190, making it a wee bit heavier to lug around

Well, Catdaddy looks a good strong boy....he'll manage! ;)

I have the 055 with a 168 head and it is fantastic but an absolute bugger to carry anywhere. Forget getting on flights unless you have a bag all for itself as it too looooong to fit in any suitcase (would probably put you over your allowance any way).

Want another head to save weight/length but never decide what to buy as the 168 is good at what it does.

What lightweight models do people use here?

i have the 190/390 combo, it's a reasonably light set up and fine as long as you can get a decent bit of torque on the head screws if your using a heavy set up.

Back