Tripod and Head

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,
Looking at a new tripod and head, not sure what to go for really, I like the look of those Manfrotto's that you can fold flat and get super low with, ive also been shown a couple of Velbons.

Im going to be taking panoramics with it mainly, ive ordered a Nodal Ninja 3, will this simply attach straight to the tripod or will I also need a head?

Any reccomendations?

I would recommend a sturdy tripod for that sort of job, maybe the Manfrotto 055.
It's not a lightweight item by any means, but it's very sturdy and will hold position when you move the camera etc.

You won't need another head, the Ninja 3 will screw straight on the tripod in a few configurations.

The heavier tripod will also have more chance of staying up right when the camera is off axis or in windy conditions.

Also very much depends on the kit you intend to hang on it, presumably for panoramic you'll be on the standard/wide lenses rather than the super tele, personally I use a Manfrotto 190 MF4, which is light, and easily transportable and supports anything I can throw at it, including a 100/400 and a 1 series body.

Also very much depends on the kit you intend to hang on it, presumably for panoramic you'll be on the standard/wide lenses rather than the super tele, personally I use a Manfrotto 190 MF4, which is light, and easily transportable and supports anything I can throw at it, including a 100/400 and a 1 series body.
Looks good, a little pricey though, I was looking at something around £100. How does the 190 differ from the 055 other than its weight?
I will be mounting a nodal ninja 3 along with a 10.5 fisheye on it

I would recommend a sturdy tripod for that sort of job, maybe the Manfrotto 055.
It's not a lightweight item by any means, but it's very sturdy and will hold position when you move the camera etc.

You won't need another head, the Ninja 3 will screw straight on the tripod in a few configurations.

The heavier tripod will also have more chance of staying up right when the camera is off axis or in windy conditions.
Thanks for that, I think ill go with the Manfrotto 055xPROB.
Do you know if the legs fold out flat for getting close to the ground?

I think all the Manfrotto tripods will allow you to get down to ground level.
The Manfrotto site says the xpro can get down to 10cm, but i don't know if it does that by using a split center column, or if it needs the column setting horizontally.

I personally use a 190 classic, while it's lightweight and sturdy in most conditions, it does tend to wobble a little if it's breezy, that would spoil a panoramic scene.

Thanks for that, I think ill go with the Manfrotto 055xPROB.
Do you know if the legs fold out flat for getting close to the ground?

Yes, with the centre column removed the legs fold out flat. With a 488RC2 head fitted, the mounting plate is about 20cm from the ground. The centre column can be fitted horizantally for vertical shots.

Just tried it with the centre column fitted horizontally - with the 488RC2 pulled back to horizontal, the plate is 10cm from the ground.

Back