Tripod/Ballhead question

Edit My Images
No
Hi
I have a Velbon CX540 tripod. I know it's hardly the Rolls Royce of tripods but it was enough to do a job.
Anyhow I have discovered with more frequent use that it is slightly awkward to get the camera into just the right position and I was wondering if it had anything to do with me needing a ballhead instead. I can see how that would really help me get it into just the angle I require.

So a couple of questions:
Can I add a ballhead to this tripod?
If so, what's the cheapest option?
Any more threads on here (or articles elsewhere) about this issue?

Thanks in advance

A mate of mine has a Velbon but not sure what model, it come with a huge vidio head and we put a manfrotto ball head on it, but if I remember rightly th tripod only had a 1/4 thread so we had to use a 1/4-3/8 adapter.

I've got an old Velbon video tripod legs and I bought the Mafrotto 486RC2 head thinking it would fit. Wrong!!! Manfrotto use some weird size of thread, I ended up getting a mate to find the correct size for me and he struggled before finally getting an old bolt from the ferry he works on. We quickly drilled out the legs to allow the bolt through and the legs and head mated up really well.

I believe the Manfrotto uses some kind of UNC thread which is pretty uncommon.

After all that I am still saving for a Manfrotto 190XPROB.

I've got an old Velbon video tripod legs and I bought the Mafrotto 486RC2 head thinking it would fit. Wrong!!! Manfrotto use some weird size of thread, I ended up getting a mate to find the correct size for me and he struggled before finally getting an old bolt from the ferry he works on. We quickly drilled out the legs to allow the bolt through and the legs and head mated up really well.

I believe the Manfrotto uses some kind of UNC thread which is pretty uncommon.

After all that I am still saving for a Manfrotto 190XPROB.
I what might have been a bit odd was the thread on your velbon;) manfrotto use a standard 3/8 thread :)

Back