Tripod heads.

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I've found the limitation of the Slik head I got with the tripod, it won't adjust for a portrait format. Great for everything else but not portrait. The ball head on the other end of the arm works but I'd rather not have to bother turning it round every time I want to adjust orientation.

So, knowing nothing about this can anyone suggest a decent head capable of taking the 20D, battery grip and macro lens. Thanks in advance

Rather than buying a new head, have a look at an elbow bracket.

340.jpg

This can be mounted on your tripod in either landscape or portrait mode.
The one above is the manfrotto 340 model.

Thanks

That bracket's interesting but also needs a Manfrotto head to work as far as I can see. That ball head looks impressive as well milou, but £70 :shock: I suppose you get what you pay for holds true again.

I have a Manfrotto three way head which I've had for years. It's very heavy and a very stable platform for weddings etc. However for wildlife and macro work it's an absolute pain with each adjustment axis being on a different handle and panning being on yet another!

I 'm serioiusly thinking of getting the Manfrotto 322RC2 - it's not cheap but it provides a simple one touch solution to all three axis adjustments as well as panning. It looks very quick and positive to use as well as being lightweight.

balls2.gif

I saw that CT but the best price I saw it at was about £90. The cost of these things is scary considering the most I'd ever spent on a tripod until recently was £15 :whistling. I'm pretty sure a ball head is the way to go for my requirements.

I know - money money! That is a ball head though, you just squeeze the grip, position the camera, and it locks instantly as soon as you release the grip.

I have two tripods, a Manfrotto and a Benbo. Neither is a true all-round tripod and they're both heavy. If I could wind the clock back, I'd give it a lot more thought before buying, and hopefully... just buy once, so I think you have to eat the initial cost in favour of the long term returns. :)

CT said:
I know - money money! That is a ball head though, you just squeeze the grip, position the camera and it locks instantly as soon as you release the grip.

Sorry, reply wasn't very clear, the 322 is also now on the list for considering. It looks a lot more useable than the one I've got.

Getting used to the Benbo though, really starting to quite like it, very adaptable once you get used to the way it works

dod said:
Getting used to the Benbo though, really starting to quite like it, very adaptable once you get used to the way it works

You definitely did the right thing getting the Trekker. I picked mine up off Ebay and it's really a full sized studio monster -very adaptable but heavy and cumbersome, you really wouldn't want to cart it around. Not one of my brightest buys overall. :nut:

I have the 488 with rc2 - £59 from T4 Cameras delivered.

Nice unit. Does portrait no problem by tilting to 90 deg at one position.you still have the normal rotation movement of the ball mount - which gives you height aiming and the base of the whole unit pans to give horizontal aiming. If that make sense :LOL:

Aye - it's very swish. I think paid about £65 in the end from my are-you-local-shop. It's been rained on and also had a dunk in sea. Still ok as you'd expect.

Back