Tripod heads

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just bought an new set of Giotto MTL 8360B tripod legs to replace my Slik 500 DX pro legs.
My slik 3 way head of course fits but does not offer a fill range of movement due to the plate size on the Giotto column.

So what type of head do you use and what do you recomend as I have always preferred a 3 may head.

I dont think I want a head that cost that much at the moment

I use a pair of geared heads from Manfrotto.

1) a 405 on my main tripod (Manfrotto 055XPRoB with Novoflex Panorama plate and Manfrotto 438 levelling base)
2) a 410 on my travel tripod (Gitzo carbon fibre Mountaineer)
Both are converted to Arca Swiss.

They offer the accuracy of a three way head with improved control. I wouldn't be without them now.

opteka gimbal head $135.00 (US) on ebay....pop the cap loosen the vertical axis balance the center of gravity and your good too go.....you can pan a 500 mm lens with a pinky finger.......i have this mounted on an old heavy Bogen... it's not easy to carry but it works well.

Hi,
I've just returned to ball head after using varies pan & tilt & geared heads,
its an acratech GV2 it is excellent although very expensive.:)
regards Bob.

I got a second hand Acratech, solid as a rock and light weight, adjust the friction and you can reset the camera without adjusting anything,

I have the Giottos MH1301-652 ball head with Giottos MH 621 with sliding plate fairly cheap considering the quality, i tend to stay well clear of pan and tilts.

Thanks for all the replies maybe I should try a ball head.

Depends what you are shooting Alf.

I've got a geared and ball head and they have their strengths and weaknesses. Also the more expensive ballheads that have been mentioned will offer far more control and precision than a budget one that you may be after so be careful not to transpose the reviews based on mechanism. (y)

Just noticed this is posted in Landscapes.. I would recommend the Manfrotto Geared 410 over a ballhead mainly for the ease and precision of levelling horizons. The weakness is its bulk over a ballhead.

Last edited:
Another heads up for the geared 410 if your doing landscapes. Easy and precise to get level.

It may be too late but I would recommend the Novoflex magicball for its wide range of movements. It is like an upside down ball head - in other words the ball is fixed to the (tripod) legs.

It is also very easy to attach the camera so there is no need for a Quick Release.

Available in 3 sizes from Speed Graphic.

Hi Mark, you certainly did, thank you very much for your time.

I use the Induro PHQ1 5 Way Pan head its one of the best heads ive ever had,,,ive had gitzo ,manfrotto etc etc and this fits the bill perfect...I was going to purchase a nodal slide but I don't even need one with this head as it has markers on the base that allow me to do stitching pans ...

Really Right Stuff 055 Ball Head for me mounted on a Gitzo. Nice and solid.

Sunwayfoto (eBay) do an excellent range of well-priced ballheads and their service is excellent too.

Back