Tripod Help, Please

Edit My Images
No
Hi everybody! :D

I have been looking at some Manfrotto legs and heads at a local camera shop, and I have narrowed it down to a few choices, but I'm now stuck, since I have never had a decent tripod, and therefore am inexperienced.

I am looking at Neotec 458b legs and the 3265, 486RC2 & 322RC2 heads. I think I am leaning towards the 486, just because I can move the camera without taking my hands off of the shutter. However, the Bogen/Manfrotto website says that you can get a head mounted shutter release for the 322. The other head (the 3265) is probably on the bottom of my list, because it only takes 5.5 lbs, while the other 2 can handle more than 10.

One more wrench to throw in to the engine, what about the 488RC2? I'm not sure if the camera shop has one, but next time I go, I'm gonna ask. I think this might give me an advantage over the 486 in the panoramic department. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages, over those two.

If any one has experience with any of these any help that can be rendered would be greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks

Brian :)

Im afraid i cant help you as i only have a cheap velbon, its high enough but cheap as they come!

Hello mate. I don't know the particular models you speak of but I have a Manfrotto ART 144 Professional Tripod which I've had about 20 years. It's superb quality and I've no doubt it will outlast me and still look good. It has a quick release head which is pretty vital, and two spirit levels for getting everything level, with big chunky handgrips for all the movements. If it has a fault it's that you can reverse the head on the centre column but it's bit of a PIA to be honest. It's served me well as a 'plonk it down' stable platform for doing weddings. It's pretty heavy, which inevitably a good tripod has to be. The beauty of Manfrotto of course is that you can get different heads for your needs.

The best advice I can give you is think long and hard about what your main type of shooting is going to be before you commit to buying one. I just picked up a full sized Benbo tripod off ebay and I'm in love with it at the moment, you can adjust it anywhere from an inch off the ground to bird's nest height. It's also quite a bit heavier than the Manfrotto.. ho hum. You don't see weedy little pros lugging zonking great tripods about for their health though. :wink:

I can't comment on Manfrotto tripods as I've never used one.

Have you considered Gitzo as an alternative?

I have the Gitzo explorer S2 CF, which is quite expensive as tripods go.
It is quite light and agile, with an off centre post It enables me to get the camera right down to the floor (ideal for macro work).
It supports upto 6KG.

Gitzo do a similar tripod with normal centre post, the Mountaineer Mk2 Series 2 G1127G.
It comes in at 1.5Kg and extends to 165cm. It supports upto 8Kg.

It is slightly more expensive than the Manfrotto you've been looking at though.
But you are getting more for your money with the Gitzo:
Its nearly 1Kg lighter, can support 2Kg more weight and extends an extra 7cm.

Thats my 2 pence worth, HTH

Gitzo carbon gets my vote - I also still have two ally Reporters that occasionally get used.

Thanks for the responses guys. :)
While Gitzo is a great tripod from what I've heard & read, it is not available locally, so I would have no opportunity to try one out before purchase. However, you did get my interest with that explorer, Matt. I took a look at B&H Photo's website (New York City) and I like that tilting center column, and a column that can go horizontal is one thing I would like in a tripod.

As far as Carbon Fiber, I need to lose the weight, not my wallet. I am also in need of a camera bag, and I will probably be getting a backpack version with a provision for carrying the tripod. So weight shouldn't be an issue.

BTW, here is a link to the legs that I was looking at: http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=2&itemid=2673

Thanks again [smilie=t:

Best advice I can give is have a try of them in a shop to see what suits your hand, what you want to do and where and strenth, (by that I mean my pod is 3kg but I can shoot in windy places and I'm not a 7stone hinglish weaklin) try em, think about it, then go back a week later and try your prefered option again to make sure its what you need and want, the two are not the same.

Thanks for the advice feeson :)
I have to agree that it is best to try one out first hand. I have already done so twice, and I will again before I actually buy one.

Back