Tripod or Flash? Not got money for both.

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi There,

I have a Canon 450D and the kit lens and hopefully a Canon 50mm f1.8( i say hopefully as our friends at Royal Mail have lost the one that was on it's way to me) and i am wanting to take some portraits as this is the field i am interested in. I was wondering which you would purchase next if you could only buy a tripod or a flash.

Flash, without a doubt (y)

What is your budget? A decent (dedicated canon) flash will set you back £100+

A decent tripod £50/60 or cheap one that will do the job for £8!

For potraiture id guess the flash would be much more useful.

A decent tripod (and head).

What is your budget? A decent (dedicated canon) flash will set you back £100+

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

About £150 - £200

I use my flash much more than my tripod.

Get the best of what you can afford, saves buying twice.

Have a look at second hand prices for tripods and heads (check Mifsuds and Ffordes for a start) and you may find you have enough change for a reasonable flash as well.

If portraits are your thing, I think a flash would be the best option! You'll be changing your viewpoint a lot, so a tripod will get restrictive and annoying.

A flash will open up a whole new world of lighting possibilities! I got a Canon 430ex for £120, it's a good starting point, but I'm also looking into getting another flash or 2, some wireless triggers etc etc, the list goes on! But if you have a decent flashgun that can tilt/swivel, it'll be a really good starting point!

Chris

Definitely the flash... the tripod you can live without doing portraits, the flash you certainly can't.

get a 430ex/430exII as they recycle soo much faster than my big old manual flashes

if you got like a £100 jessops 300 afd you could pick up a tripod too, but in that position I would buy a 430exII (if you can find one some comet stores have the 430 ex for like 115 pound collection only)

I would also consider ebay triggers to play off camera - but you need something to hold the flash...... cheap tripod :p 8 quid 7 day shop

Definitely a flash. I'm in a similar predicament myself and as soon as an SB600/800 becomes available I'm going to snap it up :)

£120 will buy you a Canon 430EX at the moment, that would leave you just about enough to get a decent tripod and head too, have alook at some of Redsnapper's stuff ;)

Has to be the flash for portraits... but remember and get it OFF the camera! :D

£120 will buy you a Canon 430EX at the moment, that would leave you just about enough to get a decent tripod and head too, have alook at some of Redsnapper's stuff ;)

Where are they selling for this price? I googled them and the cheapest was £165. Any redsnapper tripod in particular?

Back