Tripod or Monopod?

Which is the most useful for general photographic use?

depends what you intend to do.. I like my monopod for additional support as it's easy to carry around but if you are going for long exposures you will need a tripod to keep the camera steady.... Monopods are also really useful for motorsport or anything requiring a panning shot

Hi mate and welcome to TP.

As to your question it depends on what you're doing. I find a tripod more useful because I mainly do landscapes but if you're into motorsport maybe a mono is more useful. I think if pushed I would say a tripod as you can do almost everything with it, its only the bulk which makes it less useful.

Andy

I don't really understand the question, it's like saying what's best a car or motorbike? They both get you from A-B (unless you fall off) but are very different things. As said, it depends what your own 'general use' means to you

I suppose a rule of thumb could be, static shots, ie landscapes etc, use a tripod. Moving shots, ie panning shots of motorsports or birds etc, use a monopod. It does depend on weight, size, portability etc etc...

Welcome to TP :wave:

Either or both - as had been said, each has it's different use, but I would add, whichever you decide on, ensure it's a quality item (y)

do you want to take pictures of sunsets and the like, if so a tripod

A lot of people have both, you need to decide what you want it for then the fun really begins as there are different types of tripod/monpod and then there are the heads too....

Thanks guys. As you probably gathered from the question I'm new to this. I have a cheap tripod which I was considering upgrading to a Red Snapper which seems to be well recommended on here but then I read somewhere about how versatile a monopod was........

Anyway your replies have clarified it for me, I'll upgrade the tripod(y)

Thinking of a ball head - is that a good call? (nikon D40)

Thanks guys. As you probably gathered from the question I'm new to this. I have a cheap tripod which I was considering upgrading to a Red Snapper which seems to be well recommended on here but then I read somewhere about how versatile a monopod was........

Anyway your replies have clarified it for me, I'll upgrade the tripod(y)

A monopod gives you some extra support while shooting but still requires you to hold the camera. A tripod obviously allows you to let go of the camera... sounds simple but when you think of it like that it makes sense what is better for what..

I have both and am also new to this but love the monopod for how versatile it is

i'm in a similar predicament - tripod or monopod, so will probably order both (from Redsnapper) - just waiting joe to come back with a reply to a question i've asked.

Looking at the 283 + 284 and the RHS-12 ball head (hoping the head will fit both supports)

rgds
Gary

I have both a tripod and monopod from redsnapper, not used the monopod yet as i only recieved it a couple of days ago.

As said, what you use it for will determine what is most suitable, but you will probably end up with both eventually. If i had to choose, i would say a tripod is more important if you are shooting everything. A monopod helps in situations when you want to be hand held but want a little help with the stability, but it will never replace a tripod when you want to keep the camer absolutely still.

Back