Tripod recommendation

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
My old red snapper has finally given up on me, can anyone recommend me a good tripod, I have about £150 to spend, can I get a good one for that price or will I need to wait and save? I have a decent head that I'm used to (not the best, but will do) so just a tripod would do, any help would be very much appreciated.

I got this one pretty decent for the price. But does have arca swish plate not manfrotto.

Also look at the manfrotto befree, but might not be suitable for you cameras weight

I'm a 3LT fan. But not sure if they are within budget but if saving up is an option then they could be.

There are some manfrotto 055xprob on eBay without the head, are they any good and will my old head that fitted the red snapper fit on the manfrotto or are they not standard.

I'd always recommend that people think about how they'll use a tripod. For example the traditional centre column through the legs tripod frustrates me no end and I much prefer the fully articulated Benbo type that allow the camera to be placed at just about any position.

Dunno about Red Snapper v Manfrotto compatibility but sometimes it's just a matter of changing the little nut, and they're pennies. Googling the spec of the head you have and tripod you fancy may be required.

will my old head that fitted the red snapper fit on the manfrotto or are they not standard.

The threads atop tripod legs are fairly standard, either 1/4" or 3/8" UNC. There are adaptors available to go either way and these are cheap (if required.)

What are you looking to support?

£150 is a very limited budget IMO. Just my opinion but I would point you at a quality tripod from the likes of Gitzo etc. Before you faint when you see the price of them remember that you will not be buying again unless you are very young and live to be extremely old! Additionally bargains do turn up - I picked up a very nice Gitzo G1329 Mk2 + additional center column for £100 = well within your budget. More recently Gitzo UK had a half price sale - and it really was pretty much half price! Unfortunately I was tempted and gave in!

Let us know what gear you are using and what for and we may be able to give more specific suggestions.

I quite like the Manfrotto 190 Go, if you can get lucky and find a nice used copy they're cheap too but like all things second hand it's all about timing...

What exactly is the problem with the Redsnapper? You may be able to repair and many members here, report that Redsnapper, are very receptive to helping out their customers.

My old red snapper has finally given up on me, can anyone recommend me a good tripod, I have about £150 to spend, can I get a good one for that price or will I need to wait and save? I have a decent head that I'm used to (not the best, but will do) so just a tripod would do, any help would be very much appreciated.

Depending on what's wrong with your Red Snapper ? might be worth getting in touch with them as they do have spares.
I was ready for binning mine but they sent me some replacement clip mechanisms and inner shims (a couple of leg sections would not lock and just fell out) and i've repaired it myself.

The red snapper really has had it, I got a Nikon d7200 biggest lens is only 300mm but one day when I win some money I will get a 600mm, I've seen this..can anyone tell me if it's any good.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7998.PNG
    IMG_7998.PNG
    210 KB · Views: 26
That's the basic version of the current 190 series. I consider it serviceable but nothing special, in fact I can't recall what's different between it and the much older 190XB (besides the MT design updates).

I'm not a fan of the 49X series ball heads, it's not that they're bad but more that again there's nothing special about them? I've still got a RRS ballhead that's over 12 years old and works perfectly, not suggesting you get one of theirs but there's some pretty good clones which are nice to work with.

I used to have a Manfrotto 190 - I wouldn't be happy with one now. They are OK and decently made but I would save for something better if I were you.

If you want to use 300mm and maybe more later then I would keep an eye out on the used market for something much better. There are some very good tripods VERY cheap sometimes, keep an eye on FleaBay.

I'd recommend a used Manfrotto, e.g. 055xprob. To give you an idea of costs, I recently sold mine with a fluid head and bag for £170 on gumtree.

When I sold my Manfrotto 190 I went to the Manfrotto 055 XB PRO - wasn't too happy with that either. It was good for the (new) price but heavy an not rigid.

Anyway I sold it. Then I visited my nearest camera shop and saw a Gitzo G1329 Mk2 (older model Carbon Fiber 3 series Systematic) with the G 1318 accessory center column attached. All was in nice condition so I asked the price. A few seconds later I left the shop £100 poorer (but a lot richer) and put the tripod in the boot (trunk) of my car. It was then that I noticed that the salesman was still attached! Was I a little over eager? At the prices of the time the center column was worth about £150 to £200 second hand - but it came at £100 with a FREE Gitzo tripod as far as I was concerned!

Seriously though there are some REALLY good tripods out there at bargain prices if you are patient and selective. Scour the used market - but don't ignore new products. My Dream tripod (Gitzo GT4542LS) was picked up for under £375 - it should have been £700+. It pays to look and wait....................

Back