Tripod Screw Thread Size

DinoS

Hmmmmm.......Paste!
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Do all tripod screws on plates fit all digital SLR,

I have one at the moment that fits my canon 400d is it the same thread size for a 5d, or does it change,

My Friend has a tripod and head with QR plate which fits his 5d and wondering wether it will fit my 400d.

Thanks

Mark

Is it TPI and not whitworth? as i read somewhere or is it the same thing.

1/4 inch is standard for 35mm and DSLR cameras, some medium format cameras and lens mounts use 3/8. If you have a 1/4 plate and you use something like a Bronica one day can get a 1/4 inch to 3/8 adaptor very cheaply.

As Andrew stated, TPI is just "threads per inch".

Both UNC and Whitworth's 1/4" offerings are 20 TPI and the only difference is the angle that the teeth are cut at. In practice, this is of little consequence for camera usage.

Bob

Sorry for the slight hijack, but i`m after getting a threaded eyebolt this size to screw into the tripod mount of one of my lenses, can`t find one anywhere.Does anybody know where I could get one?

If you know what I mean,don`t think i`ve explained that too well........:cautious:

As stated, 1/4" is commonplace for most smaller cameras, with 3/8" tripod sockets sometimes being being employed on larger format cameras.

This is the mounting foot on my 500mm f4 which provides bushes for both sizes. As stated, you can easily obtain adapters which convert 3/8" sockets to 1/4".

screw_size_1.jpg

You can also buy converters which screw over your existing tripod mounting screw to convert it to the larger sixe.

Ah gotcha. Can't say I recall seeng anything similar.

LOL seems like a plan. :D

I do have an Arca type plate with a tripod screw which has one of those folding 'D' links for screwing in and out, but I don't think I'd like to hang a lot of weight off it.

It's not really relevant to the question but one of the saddest days in my photographic life was arriving at Sossusvlei in Namibia, at dawn, after a journey from the UK lasting about 3 days, and getting the tripod and head out.

I had carried them separately for the journey. At some stage during that journey, the little 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch adaptor shown in CT's pic had gone missing. At that point I almost gave up.

Actually getting to Sossusvlei is not a journey, its a pilgrimage ....

What you are looking for is a lifting eye bolt, something like this would look neat on top of the tripod, USA stockist but should be available somewhere here but may not be stainless although cadnium plated would look ok. http://item.express.ebay.com/Liftin...061594846QQihZ010QQfromsoiZ1QQcmdZExpressItem

I would try an industrial ironmonger the likes of which you would find on a trading estate supplying local industry, we have such a stockist here pm me if you want me to check if they have any.
You could also look for a "rawlbolt" with an eye for securing a line unscrew the eye bolt and the cut it to length, that is if the thread is ok.

Thanks for that, it seems exactly what I require.

I will let you know if I need your kind offer of assistance.Again, many thanks......(y)

Ended up making one....(y)

Hook.jpg

1/4 whitworth bolt,welded the hook on, dressed the head down to 10mm, spring washer.

Back