Tripod - what would you recommend?

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Need to replace my lost tripod, what do you recommend? I fancy a 500mm bigma at some point, will be used on the D3. Also have other big heavy lenses.

Budget, anything up to £500. Would prefer to buy locally, not too keen on internet shopping...

Gary.

I went with the Gitzo 3540XLS. Can't fault it with its use up to now. Its nice and stiff, easy to set up and extends really (and I mean really) tall. For big lenses, combine it with a Gimbal head and you've got a superb setup. (y)

I also say Gitzo, you could look at the old range to save money and buy secondhand something like 1325, 1348, 1548. Or buy new something like 35xx range or 55xx range, be warned the legs on the 55xx range are like scaffold poles, I just added one to my collection.

I also say Gitzo, you could look at the old range to save money and buy secondhand something like 1325, 1348, 1548. Or buy new something like 35xx range or 55xx range, be warned the legs on the 55xx range are like scaffold poles, I just added one to my collection.

I would like something which is sturdy as hell, and allows for fast movement of the camera, as well as vertical / horizontal central pole placement if possible. Would also like it if I can get very low to the ground < 50cm.

And weight, well the lighter the better.

I thought about this perhaps with a good head?

AMANFTR105014057.jpg

Is 2.4kg quite light for a tripod? Bearing in mind this is without the head.

All the bumph:

"
Probably - "The Fastest Tripod in the World!"

The NEOTEC "leverless" tripod uses Manfrotto's innovative rapid-deployment leg locking mechanism that has no levers, screws or knobs... you simply pull the legs downwards to open and lock them in place at any extension, in a split second.

Designed for professional use, the NEOTEC is ideal for both 35mm and medium format cameras, and has all the added features that make Manfrotto products leaders in their class.

Features:
Leverless opening and closing
Faster vibration damping
Multiple leg angle settings
Two-&
Anti-torsion centre column (can also be fitted horizontally)
Fits interchangeable heads
Built-in carrying strap

Specification:
Material: Aluminium alloy
Still Photography: Yes
Video: No
Column Type: Anti-torsion two part (built-in low angle adapter)
Maximum Height with extended center column: 156cm
Maximum Height: 131cm
Minimum Height: 10cm
Closed Length: 64cm
Leg Sections: 3
Maximum Load Capacity: 7.9kg
Levelling Bubble
Weight: 2.4 kg

"

Stay away from centre columns if you want the sturdiest tripods, personally I don't think the manfrotto tripods are up to the job for big glass.

The gitzo's are made in a modular design so you can add and remove things like Hor and Vert poles if you want but you will be talking serious wonga (£££££) for that.

Stay away from centre columns if you want the sturdiest tripods, personally I don't think the manfrotto tripods are up to the job for big glass.

The gitzo's are made in a modular design so you can add and remove things like Hor and Vert poles if you want but you will be talking serious wonga (£££££) for that.

OK - so is £500 going to cut it ona Gitzo? :)

The biggest glass I suppose will be the bigma with a TC. I also use the 14 to 24 which is pretty fat, and I plan on getting the 70 to 200 mkII when it arrives.

Gary.

You don't need a big tripod for those, a sturdy tripod helps but havering a superb long lens technique is the way to go. Have a look at the gitzo catalogue downloadable from their site and you will get an idea of how much weight the new range can take, you maybe looking at series 2 or 3, 3 will be overkill, I would say try and have a go with the tripod first, the manfrotto maybe ok for the size of lens you have, try it first in a shop.

When you said and also have other big heavy lens's I thought you were into 600mm territory.

You don't need a big tripod for those, a sturdy tripod helps but havering a superb long lens technique is the way to go. Have a look at the gitzo catalogue downloadable from their site and you will get an idea of how much weight the new range can take, you maybe looking at series 2 or 3, 3 will be overkill, I would say try and have a go with the tripod first, the manfrotto maybe ok for the size of lens you have, try it first in a shop.

When you said and also have other big heavy lens's I thought you were into 600mm territory.

No not at all, but maybe one day - I mean if its a few £££ difference, perhaps worth making the extra leap. Trouble is, I really dunno what makes a good tripod. I think having something easy to carry is important, having a very easy to move head (in all directions) is important for me too. And like I said getting low to the ground...

Gary.

Man I wish you had not mentioned GITZO - have you seen the GT5530 ? :love::love:

Seriously have a play around with a few different makes and see which one suits you best, Carbon Fibre is nice and light and very strong, but a whole more expensive.

Thats the one I have just acquired, but I have moded it a bit with a few extras.

Would you mind posting for us a picture of your setup?

I can't make a recommendation but I can share my experience. I have no idea how it compares with other setups, though. I have a Manfrotto 055MF3, which cost me £200. My head is a Manfrotto MG486RC2 Hydrostatic ball head, which was a further £175.

I just performed a little test with my 40D and 100-400 lens at 400mm. The tripod was set down on concrete and fully extended but the centre column was down. Everything was tightened down good and firm. Using Live View I focused on a target maybe 200-300m away. With no magnification in Live View I could see slight movements when I touched the camera, but they appeared to stop as soon as I let go. However, with 10X magnification enabled the view was bouncing all over the place with the tiniest provocation. It would be impossible to press the shutter release without causing wobble. If I gave the tripod a firm tap it took fully five seconds before the 10X display settled down completely.

I know tapping tripods isn't the name of the game, but pressing the shutter release is, so really this was quite a disappointing result. It's the same story when attempting to focus manually for a moon shot, for example. The vibration makes judging focus damn near impossible - at 10X mag.

I have no idea how other kit would compare under such challenging conditions but I thought I'd share this experience. If you have a camera with Live View it would certainly make testing in the store a revealing exercise. Of course, the tripod is only part of the battle. I'm fairly certain that my head is at least part of the problem if not much of it. Sadly, I have no way to tell. I say this, though, because you mention the tripod but not the head. Do you have that sorted? I'm coming to the conclusion that a 2" ball is the minimum one should aim for in order to achieve robust and smooth operation. My head has a 1" ball (by the look of it) and while I thought the hydrostatic bit might be the bee's knees when I bought it, I'm thinking that an old school 2" ball would be better. People in the US go nuts for heads from these guys - http://reallyrightstuff.com/ballheads/02.html - or Markins. I think if you are going Gitzo for the legs you need to make sure your head is up to the job or you may be wasting your money. Of course, a gimbal mount would be a rather nice alternative to a ball. Random article here - http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/manfrotto_393/393_1.html. I understand Wimberley is one of the top dogs, but quite satisfactory versions can be obtained from India for less cash.

http://www.pixalo.com/community/ebay-auctions/india-heavy-duty-gimbal-head-wimberley-type-18330.html
http://www.pixalo.com/community/pho...g-lens-gimbal-form-ebay-18629.html#post160005
http://www.pixalo.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/328/cat/24

EDIT : Here's a link to a review of a cheap gimbal head - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=518060

I've got a gitzo 3541LS (replacement of the 3540LS that is still sold in some places).

It's light, sturdy and holds my big 500mm very well with a gimbal head.
I'm really pleased with it.

Take a wander along to Calumet, they might have some Gitzo stuff left. Not sure if the Edinburgh branch is still stocking them, but Glasgow have stopped as they weren't selling well.

I've got a gitzo 3541LS (replacement of the 3540LS that is still sold in some places).

It's light, sturdy and holds my big 500mm very well with a gimbal head.
I'm really pleased with it.

What is the exact model of your head werecrow?

Regards,

Gary.

What is the exact model of your head werecrow?

Regards,

Gary.

It's the wimberly mk2 head i've got but i only use it with my big canon 500mm.
Something like the wimberly sidekick or equivalent would be better for a bigma sized lens i think.

I've just had a thought though... the bigma extends quite significantly when you zoom in so i'm not sure what using a gimble would be like with it.
You have to balance them to make them weightless.

Update.

I opted for both a Tripod and a Monopod and just blew my original budget by £25.

I went to Calumet in Edinburgh, and a good 90 minute play around with all the options and the Bigma.

TRIPOD:
Not small nor light, but sturdy as hell.
Manfrotto 475B PRO

TRIPOD HEAD:
Manfrotto 490RC4 MAXI BALL HEAD Tripod head

Monopod:
Manfrotto 685B Neotec Monopod

Head:
Manfrotto Grip Action Ball Head

I know some said steer clear of MF, but I managed to get a lot of bang for buck I think, and it all felt very solid in store.

Not the lightest kit in the world, my only real complaint.

Gary.

Gary, I started a thread elsewhere about my Manfrotto gear and it appears my expectations were simply too high. You just can't get a rock solid foundation with lightish gear at midrange prices. It's likely the RC2 QR plate system I have may be part of the problem I have, but really the vibration/wiggle that have is just the sum of the parts of small movements building up throughout the system. There is just as much involved in good tripod technique as there is in good handholding technique, or so it seems. I was expecting my gear to do all the work for me. I have since learned that that is an unrealistic expectation. I note you have an RC4 plate on your choice of ball head, so hopefully that will put you ahead of the game.

My other thread is here, if you are interested. There is a link to a video, showing the "problem", in the first post....

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=520790

Everyone seems to rave about Wimberley, Really Right Stuff, Markins, Kirk and Arca-Swiss for heads and QR systems, and Gitzo for legs, but the prices for that sort of kit are well above the Manfrotto territory. I have no idea how much better, if at all, the high end kit would perform by comparison. Talk is cheap, which is why I shot the video. I haven't seen any comparable tests/demos with other gear. I'm not knocking Manfrotto as such, just pointing out that I thought a fairly expensive tripod system should be more solid, stable and vibration free than a tuning fork.

I see your tripod is over twice the weight of mine, with almost twice the load capacity, so your experience should certainly be a bit different. I hope you are satisfied with your purchase :)

Gary, I started a thread elsewhere about my Manfrotto gear and it appears my expectations were simply too high. You just can't get a rock solid foundation with lightish gear at midrange prices. It's likely the RC2 QR plate system I have may be part of the problem I have, but really the vibration/wiggle that have is just the sum of the parts of small movements building up throughout the system. There is just as much involved in good tripod technique as there is in good handholding technique, or so it seems. I was expecting my gear to do all the work for me. It seems that is an unrealistic expectation. I note you have an RC4 plate on your choice of ball head, so hopefully that will put you ahead of the game.

My other thread is here, if you are interested. There is a link to a video, showing the "problem", in the first post....

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=520790

Everyone seems to rave about Wimberley, Really Right Stuff, Markins, Kirk and Arca-Swiss for heads and QR systems, and Gitzo for legs, but the prices for that sort of kit are well above the Manfrotto territory. I have no idea how much better, if at all, the high end kit would perform by comparison. Talk is cheap, which is why I shot the video. I haven't seen any comparable tests/demos with other gear. I'm not knocking Manfrotto as such, just pointing out that I thought a fairly expensive tripod system should be more solid, stable and vibration free than a tuning fork.

Thanks will have a look. All the MF gear I had bar the one I bought had a massive amount of wriggle, and shake. Even tapping softly the shutter release would result in massive movement of the Bigma zoomed in.

This 475 felt solid though, it seems well grounded, and I even gave it a gentle kick and it seemd to take it. I will certainly have a better feel for it in a week or two.

Thanks for the link!! :)

Gary.

Just looked up that 475B. Does look pretty sturdy... also nice and shiney! :)

With long lenses, even on tripods, mirror lock-up and a cable release is the way to go rather than "tapping softly the shutter release".

The 685B looks like a nice bit of kit, but isn't the 475B a studio tripod? Certainly looks up to the job of supporting the D3/Bigma combo,or alternatively your Elise:LOL:

I woulda sent you mine to have a play with - got the Manfrotto 055XPROB, probably a little cheaper build then you were after, but it has done me proud for a while.

I woulda sent you mine to have a play with - got the Manfrotto 055XPROB, probably a little cheaper build then you were after, but it has done me proud for a while.

What a lovely offer!!! I have heard good things about the 055XPROB - do you like it??

Gary.

Yeah, I love it... But I went from a Sony Video Tripod :thumbsdown: to the 055 (y), so it was like heaven for me!!!

Seems really stable and I have used it in quite windy conditions, If I am taking something with a slowish shutter speed I usually use Mirror Lock Up, and I hang my camera bag from the centre column to add a bit more balast to it... The tripod is not going anywhere with that hanging on it :D

Yeah, I love it... But I went from a Sony Video Tripod :thumbsdown: to the 055 (y), so it was like heaven for me!!!

Seems really stable and I have used it in quite windy conditions, If I am taking something with a slowish shutter speed I usually use Mirror Lock Up, and I hang my camera bag from the centre column to add a bit more balast to it... The tripod is not going anywhere with that hanging on it :D

Excellent idea!!!

Back