Tripods and Luggage

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Tomorrow I fly from Bristol to Toulouse. I've packed all my camera gear and will undoubtedly be taking it on as hand luggage. I'm a little bit aprehensive about my tripod though. Should I strap it to my Mini Trekker with the rest of my gear, or put it in the carry case and stick it through as normal luggage?

My last experience with baggage handlers wasn't a good one and I ended up having stuff stolen from my bag so I don't fancy losing a £100 piece of kit, but on the other hand, the extra weight of the tripod on the bag may be a little too heavy and bulky for hand luggage.

Any advice appreciated.

Slime (y)

I normally carry my photo kit as carry on but the tripod is checked bagage, in the case, if you put it in its own bag that will be an additional piece of luggage and an adtional charge with a lot of airlines now

Most airlines consider tripods to be a dangerous weapon and want it as checked baggage.

Most airlines consider tripods to be a dangerous weapon and want it as checked baggage.

this is true! i have had to unstrap my tripod from my bag before and since then i just put it in the suitacse!

Many tripods have spikes concealed behind the rubber feet so you're taking a risk that they won't let you through security with it.

Bob

Cool, cheers guys. I'll try and fit it in the suitcase then. Fingers crossed! ;)

I check absolutely everything through as hold luggage these days. I just got totally fed up battling with airport/airline staff over what I could carry on. Plus I always used to take too much gear everywhere, now I know better. :)

I check absolutely everything through as hold luggage these days. I just got totally fed up battling with airport/airline staff over what I could carry on. Plus I always used to take too much gear everywhere, now I know better. :)

You put your camera and lenses in the hands of the baggage men? Now that is what I call brave having seen what these gorilas can do to things I would never even consider it.

It's not that brave, I imagine the worst things that could happen to it, thrown, dropped, stood on, battered and soaked, then I pack it all accordingly.

I then sprinkle liberally with "my stuffs broke/not here, get me new stuff" insurance, sit back and enjoy a dram with the peanuts. ;)

It's not that brave, I imagine the worst things that could happen to it, thrown, dropped, stood on, battered and soaked, then I pack it all accordingly.

I then sprinkle liberally with "my stuffs broke/not here, get me new stuff" insurance, sit back and enjoy a dram with the peanuts. ;)
You forgot to add put on a plane going too the opposite part of the world to you :LOL: Pretty accurate description though!!

Back