Tripods

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of selling my Benbo Trekker II tripod as although it is versatile, it is a bit of a pain to set up....therefore I dont use it as often as I should.

I am looking at getting the Manfrotto 190PROB with a 464RC ball head.

Does anyone have this tripod and can tell me anything they have found they dont like about it?

Is it good enough for low macros.......etc.?

Janice

I have the 190, it's a great tripod if you need to move it around, the 055 is probably a better bet if you want real ruggedness.

the center shaft is reversible so you can get to ground level if needed and space is allowing

Don't go for a reversible centre column... they're a real pain. Get one with an offset centre column which rotates.....much like your present Benbo does.... and one where the legs splay right out to ground level. ;)

the 109 pro legs do go all the way out and the center shaft can be both reversed and placed in a horizontal orientation.

with offset legs, you have no problem getting down low and still being stable.

digitalfailure said:
the 109 pro legs do go all the way out and the center shaft can be both reversed and placed in a horizontal orientation.

with offset legs, you have no problem getting down low and still being stable.

Why didn't you say so then? :shrug: Sounds ideal! :)

Now now, lads!! No argueing! ;)

What Id like to know is, when the centre column is put horizontally, can you only take photos down towards the ground. With the benbo you could then tilt the camera up on the end of the column and have it facing forward at a few inches above ground, ie for a flower shot straight on instead of above it.

Janice said:
What Id like to know is, when the centre column is put horizontally, can you only take photos down towards the ground.

No Janice, you'll have a tripod head on the end of that centre column, so you can rotate the camera to virtually any position you like. ;)

Duh! Of course! The words "brain" and "dangerous" spring to mind!! :D

Bit late to this thread, but a thumbs up for the 190 pro, tis what I use.
Can't comment on the head - although I think that's the head Noah uses... Although he aint back till October :eek:
Coincidentally Noah also uses the 190 (non pro, only difference being you can't mount the centre column horizontally) and I know he really likes it, too.

Think I might give it a go then..... I just need something which will tempt me to take it out a bit more. (the tripod!)

Indeedy! I've heard similar stuff from a lot of people who use Benbo's.

I did look at the 055 tripod when choosing the 190 Pro, but went with the 190 Pro based on weight. I prefer 3-way heads to ball heads, so use a 460MG head with mine. That decision was based on size and weight, and I've been very happy with the head...

I'm rarely cautious to take the tripod out with me, I usually have it "just in case" - plus even if I don't use it at all I often find it handy as a sort of walking stick, just to get to more precarious places etc. :D I should point out that I walk everywhere (so whether I'm going to Cardiff, Cambridge or just a hike through the local hills, I carry the tripod) and am by no means particularly fit or muscular.

I'm vaguely considering one of the fearfully expensive Manfrotto bags to pop it in, the current generic bag I have (which I don't always use) has a broken clip which digs into my back.

I find it very stable and very versatile - I have to say I don't do a lot of macro stuff, but I do do lots in "precarious" environments and at kooky angles, and I'm never cursing at the tripod!

Back