Trips and tricks for Prop Aircraft?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I’ve recently got back into Aviation photography and am due to RIAT and Wings and Wheels in the coming weeks... my kits is Canon 70D with 70-200mm F4 ii a Canon 7D Mkii with Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary..

While I find setting up the camera for fast moving jet fairly straight forward, it’s the helicopters and props I’m struggling with!

One I don’t seem to get the movement in the props that others do, and also they aren’t as sharpe on the slower shutters speeds..

I’ve been advised to use 1/320th for creating movement and using the panning technique... where does this fit in using a shutter speed above focal length? What happens at say 400mm and I want some movement? How do I stop motion blur on the aircraft? Is it purely down to panning and luck?

Also, I’ve set a custom C1 for jets with shutter speeds above 800, iso 200 and TV mode...

A fellow photographer advise to also is Av mode for props and set shutter to 1/250-1/320 and auto ISO (100-400)...

Looking for some clarity before being back in the scene!

Thanks,
Chris

If you are wanting a greater disc effect you need to be way lower on the shutter speed . Each aircraft differs. As you say panning and luck but also practise and technique also. I tend to have the drive set to highest speed and take a few shots to let the camera and my arms settle. If you shoot side on with props you are not as critical for prop blur.

If you have a local airfield with light aircraft pop along and practise.

Back