Trouble Ahead! How do I get round this one?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
As you may have noticed from a few of my posts I am waiting for the Nikon D80 to get released to upgrade my D50 - I mentioned this on another Forum & have been offered a decent price for my D50 - "What's the problem?" I hear you ask ...
Well first of all Nikon have said "early Sept" for the D80 to arrive in the stores & we all know how reliable Nikon release dates are (?)
Secondly I wasn't going to mention this upgrade at all to my long suffering wife (I thought I could sneak it by her & hope she'd not notice! - Well they look identical :nono:)
Finally the prospective buyer would like the D50 straight away as he needs the camera for a particular shoot next week - This wouldn't be a problem except I am off (& wife) on a weeks holiday & she'd know something was iffy if I didn't take the camera with me :shrug:
So do I sell the D50 & pray that the D80 turns up before my holiday?
Do I come clean about the upgrade & hide all the sharp knives?
Renting a D-SLR is too expensive so unless someone here has a spare D50 I could borrow :naughty: I appear to be up diahorrea drive :shrug:
Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated ... Paul (y)

OMG you sound exactly like me. I was wondering if my husband would notice a 30d in place of the 350d....... he isnt that observant to notice a size difference....and the number on the front is pretty similar!! :LOL:

You ARE in a fix arent you. Is it that Nikon havent yet brought out the D80....or that you cant be sure it will get DELIVERED before you go?

Its not worth the risk in selling it now, just imagine how many pairs of shoes you will have to buy as compensation! Keep hold of it until you can 'swap' them over. I'm sure you will easily sell it on later.

The other option is to come clean, well sort of, and tell her that someone has offered you a great deal to buy your camera which means you can upgrade to the latest version which you really want for a negligible amount. Dont let slip that you have already ordered it of course. If she says no then its back to pure subversion!

Good luck

hehe!
It's a toughie - you could try and blag that you don't always have to be snapping (and then moan about not being able to take photos on holiday, that way you don't have to do it again :D).

Coincidentally, nobody seems to have picked up on the D200 (even though it is +grip) - nor on me wandering off with three bodies dangling from me :eek:

Hee hee.........are we ALL this devious? I bet it's only Marianne who doesnt have to hide the new equipment!!

Doesn't have to or can't? :p

I'm in the same boat as Marianne with regards to hiding new equipment ;)

Just waiting for the typical '...you can only take one picture at a time...' comment - in much the same way that I get told that I can only play one guitar at a time - so why have more than just one...

My answer - well, dear, unless you've grown a couple of extra limbs recently, you can only wear one pair of shoes at a time, can't you? :bonk: :razz:

*snip*
My answer - well, dear, unless you've grown a couple of extra limbs recently, you can only wear one pair of shoes at a time, can't you? :bonk: :razz:

Stores that one for a rainy day........

WOW! £100??? thats a lot for a body and a few lenses isnt it! ;) :D

My thoughts exactly, Janice. You should be able to buy a really expensive shoe for that amount of money...

Wife? Oh yeah, I used to have one of them. Until she wanted me to buy the OTHER shoe for her! I mean, the cheek! Especially when I had more lenses and stuff to buy!

Wow! I go out for a quick round of golf & there's fourteen replies on my post!
None of them are a lot of help though - FWIW I have the best wife in the world! She hates shopping and can't spend money on herself! Honestly if I gave her £10 £20 £50 or £100 to go and spend she couldn't do it :LOL:
Which is great when you spend money like I do although I do tend to use the old "I can upgrade and hardly spend anything dear" ploy :nono:
Yes I was hoping I could get the D80 before my holiday on 9th Sept but the smart money suggests they'll not be in the shops by then
Hopefully someone will come up with a "cunning plan" Baldrick style (or a spare D50)
Paul (y)

You could tell your wife the camera is playing up and the lens/body/sensor needs to be professionally cleaned. She sees you safely package it up and take it to the post office. Few weeks later comes back looking brand new (oh and they rebadged it to say D80 as well to show its been back in for repair).

Damn! That's a good idea....I reckon thats the best one so far. I reckon my other half would fall for that one! :LOL:

Right, I want £20 from each of you or this thread gets posted to your other half's. Soon have enough for a new camera. :D

You could tell your wife the camera is playing up and the lens/body/sensor needs to be professionally cleaned. She sees you safely package it up and take it to the post office. Few weeks later comes back looking brand new (oh and they rebadged it to say D80 as well to show its been back in for repair).
Genius! I knew someone would bail me out :clap: - I may take it a stage further & send it "for cleaning" in the next few days so that I will "definately have it back before our holiday" - You can imagine how livid I will be if it fails to show on time :shake: - Damn those Nikon Service Engineers! :nono:
I'll report back when it all goes pearshaped ... Paul (y)

But then won't you be bothered if you don't have a camera for your hols? If the release of the D80 is anything like the release of the D70, you'll be in for a long wait!

LOL - my other half seems to be inheriting all my old Kit - I can't remember the last time I got my mits on the D30....! (Although with the 30D in the kit bag I'm not complaining too much!)

Hmmm, how long did I spend looking for the 12-24 mm WhyDangle.....?

I havent read the thread except for the first post, but tbh I wouldnt expect a D80 before Christmas.
Joe T - I hope you are yanking my chain :shrug: - Surely even Nikon wouldn't be THAT bad with the release dates for a camera :crying:
As to not having a camera for my holiday I do have a Canon S30 somewhere which I could resusitate :LOL:
Paul (y)

Its less about release dates, and more about demand massively outstripping supply. Nikon are a much smaller company then Canon, and therefore they have far smaller production facilities. When they release a great product (quite often tbh) it is very hard to get hold of. Look at the new 18-200 VR: its been on sale for months now, but the only real way to secure one is to pay a £200 premium and import it from HK. It's often the way with Nikon :(

My wife commented the other day that I must have spent over a hundred pounds on lenses by now. ;)

:clap:

/stores catdaddys shoes comment.

I'm lucky, I just explain to my wife what I want, and with her working it comes out of our joint 'funds' (usually funded by me selling something I don't use anymore, or my bits of tat).

And she says "OK".

God I love my wife :)

Marcel said:
God I love my wife :)
Awwwww

I just have to go out and get whatever I want for my camera - then I tell the other the other half when I've bought it... or drop huge hints then I get it for birthday or Xmas :D

Problem solved ... I decided not to upgrade my D50 to a D80 after all :thinking:
>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>
Instead I bought a slighly used D200 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (as per this thread - if you care :shrug:)
Thanks for all the advice even if I didn't use it ... Paul (y)

Back