Beginner Trying my hand at people photography

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Taking pictures of people is not in my comfort zone and my sibling have been nagging me to take some shots of her daughter.
I took this today and whilst I'm fairly happy with it I'd like to know what others would have done different.

905A2697 by MrRubiks182, on Flickr

I've not long started out playing around with portraits but I will let you know what I think about it.

I like the backlight on her hair but think its too strong around her sleeve. I like her pose and I like the background although I think the legs in the top right need cloning out because they look out of place. Its nice as a mono although it seems to have a green hue, although I am viewing on my tablet. Nice dof and crop. You could try taking a tad off the top and bottom so she fills the frame a bit more.

If she really wants you to take photos of her I'd make the most of it.

Hope that's okay. Mike

The rim light is excellent, I would have liked to have a lot more similar frames to pick the best facial expression, but this is nice enough. What is your burst max framerate?
She is looking down, may be 'brighter' if she was looking up or at the lens.

Heres where I start sounding like a proper beginner. whats a "burst max framerate"? I only tried a few with a rear flash for the rim light as I wasn't sure if i was doing it right and these are the pictures where she was messing with my hat.

I think its well lit and sharp enough on the face - I would have looked for a neutral background (against a wall or something) and maybe shot a bit closer in to capture the smile and eyes in a bit more detail - im far from an expert though :D

Last edited:
... I was assuming ... you had the chance to burst to catch different expressions.

:eek: Forgive me if I've grasped the wrong end of the stick, but you would use continuous shooting made for a portrait in order to catch different expressions?

Lovely shot! I disagree about the looking down comment, she's looking straight at the lens in my opinion. If the position of her hand on her chin was directed by you, I think it looks a bit false and the pointing jesture leads the eye out of the frame. If it was a natural pose then I can live with that, shows the girls character.

:eek: Forgive me if I've grasped the wrong end of the stick, but you would use continuous shooting made for a portrait in order to catch different expressions?
For a portrait? Well ... for photographing a child's face in an informal situation I find it a real blessing that modern digital bodies can rattle off quick bursts behind a suitable lens, so yes definitely, if that's a portrait.
I always take at least two shots of people, sometimes three, and sometimes more. Additionally with possible camera shake and shutter shock to contend with, a few is usually better than one.
My replies are, however, intended for the OP so your :eek: is either disturbing or argumentative.

My replies are, however, intended for the OP so your :eek: is either disturbing or argumentative.

If you say so. I'm still bemused though by the idea of relying on continuous burst mode in order to capture an expression, but far be it from me to argue to with you about that, or indeed anything else.

... for photographing a child's face in an informal situation ... if that's a portrait.

A portrait is simply a picture, posed or not, of a person in which the face/expression is predominant.

HTH :)

This is a good shot. Unlike others I like the rimlight on the sleeve but find it a bit strong on the hair, especially on her left - but that's a small detail. I could be wrong but it looks as though you were from above her - I'd have tried to get my camera down to roughly her eye level or a smidge below.

I'm still bemused though by the idea of relying on continuous burst mode in order to capture an expression.

Me too. Much better to wait for - or provoke - the expression and rely on reflexes. Quite often the best expression occurs as someone finishes posing and relaxes - get them to pose and take the picture but be ready for the next one a second later. The hand and smile are a little bit forced in this case.

This is a good shot. Unlike others I like the rimlight on the sleeve but find it a bit strong on the hair, especially on her left - but that's a small detail. I could be wrong but it looks as though you were from above her - I'd have tried to get my camera down to roughly her eye level or a smidge below.

Me too. Much better to wait for - or provoke - the expression and rely on reflexes. Quite often the best expression occurs as someone finishes posing and relaxes - get them to pose and take the picture but be ready for the next one a second later. The hand and smile are a little bit forced in this case.
Yup. Provoke an expression/reaction. Most of my pics come from provoked expressions. I hate the "camera mode" that subjects go into when the camera comes out. - the gurns, the cheesy grins the awkward hands.....far better to engage with the subject, put them at ease which will hopefully result in more natural shots.

Back