Tubes and TC to go beyond 1:1.

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I started experimenting with my Tamron 90mm mounted on 68mm of Kenko tubes and a Kenko 1.4 TC. This set up gives about 3X magnification. I also have a SB600 flash, body mounted.

I found this set up is not that difficult to handle. The viewfinder is fairly dim, but still bright enough to judge focus and focusing is not that different from focusing at 1:1. Working distance is about 4". I am going to have to diffuse the flash, as the light is a bit harsh.

These were handheld.

1. Centipede, about 10mm total length stretched out. Uncropped.

Centipede by jomike, on Flickr

2. Tiny spider, total length less than 1mm. Barely visible to the naked eye. This is cropped slightly.

Tiny Spider by jomike, on Flickr

great! will surely try this soon. Just need a TC for my camera.

nice shots, my tubes should arrive this week (y) but sadly no tc yet:thumbsdown:

still should get some good pics with the tubes:D

Thanks guys.

Gary, tubes will let you get a bit closer to get the small bugs that seem to be the only ones out at this time of year.

hi mike,
is it the Kenko Teleplus AF 1.4x Extender Pro-300 DGX for Nikon you use and if you do, does it have any problems using it with lenses minus tubes ?

thanks

gary

Gary, it is the Kenko Teleplus AF 1.4x Extender Pro-300 DG that I use, the one with the X is the latest model.
It works fine on all my lenses that I have tried, namely 300mm f4, 50mm f1.8D and the Tammy 90, with or without tubes.
It does not report the correct focal length, the Tammy 90 is reported as 90mm with the TC on. The new X version is supposed to fix that.

Thanks for the quick response mike, definately going to be my next investment :clap:

Thanks Nick, I saw your comment on flickr.

Gary - keep an eye on the for sale section here, that is where I got both the tubes and the TC. Saves you some money. :) You got to be quick though as they tend to go fast.

tubes have arrived today, had a quick play and what a difference :clap:

Back