Tulips

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
The wife got some flowers the other day, so I thought it only right that I stole one and photographed it :LOL:

The real aim was to try out my 24-70 f2.8L as I'd not used it since getting it last weekend. Also it was nice to try out some lighting techniques too. Basically, I was playing :LOL:

Rough premise was - (#1 and #3) Interfit EX150 Head fired to a FITP reflective brolly above the camera on the left. Canon 430EXII firing straight at a white sheet for some high key goodness. #2 the same pretty much, but with the 430EXII firing at the head of the tulip from the right and slightly below.

#1 - Square crop
4490176230_8950ea9a0d_o.jpg

#2 - On black
4489533003_9ba8a7b779_o.jpg

#3 - With a slight marmite twist
4489532855_633422e741_o.jpg

Thanks for viewing - C&C always appreciated (as I don't do flowers often!)

hello flower :D the first 2 are really nice although I'm not sure about the crop on the first. As to High key I had an explanation of what is and what isn't high key from DD and I'm not sure yours is:shrug:. His explanation was an absense of dark tones, your first shot clearly has dark tones. Not just a shot on a white background which some people mistalenly call high key. I could be wrong but I'm sure DD isn't :LOL:

hello flower :D the first 2 are really nice although I'm not sure about the crop on the first.

Ta :)
I was imagining the square crop on the front of a card actually - it's always worth trying out these things and seeing what others think (y)

As to High key I had an explanation of what is and what isn't high key from DD and I'm not sure yours is:shrug:. His explanation was an absense of dark tones, your first shot clearly has dark tones. Not just a shot on a white background which some people mistalenly call high key. I could be wrong but I'm sure DD isn't :LOL:

Fair enough! Consider me schooled :D

I like 1, I absolutely love 3 but I don't like the second.
Not sure I could explain why though. 1 and 3 have a delicatness about them that seems to be missing in 2.

When you are in the presence of a professional you tend to listen and take notes. I won't go into what Gary was saying at his work shop about some shots on tp or there could be some :dummy: but the blind following the blind would put it tactfully :D

Hope I didn't come across like a bossy school teacher (y)

I like 1, I absolutely love 3 but I don't like the second.
Not sure I could explain why though. 1 and 3 have a delicatness about them that seems to be missing in 2.

Thanks (y) I'm not sure if the light is too harsh on #2 myself - maybe that's it :)

When you are in the presence of a professional you tend to listen and take notes. I won't go into what Gary was saying at his work shop about some shots on tp or there could be some :dummy: but the blind following the blind would put it tactfully :D

Hope I didn't come across like a bossy school teacher (y)

Not in the slightest mate, I'm here to learn, much like most others (y). If I've got terminology wrong then I'd prefer to know about it so I don't look like an arse in the future! :LOL:
Will drop you a PM at some point too - I'm interested to know how you a) got on at the lighting session and b) what you thought of the Lencarta kit. I'm tempted to drop £1000 on their portable stuff but want some opinions first ;)

Back