Turkish Allstars - Waddington 3/7

Lynton

awkward customer
Name
Lynton (yes really!)
Edit My Images
No
Fairly new to airshows.... 4th with a camera - and seem to have improved a bit from last time esp in the panning techniques.........

Here's one of my fave's from Yesterday.

turkallstars.jpg

C&C Welcomed

Thats a cool shot but I bet someone will say you did that in Photoshop!

Probably, but it wasn't and I will happily prove it by sending the RAW file to any disputers........ if I was that good in photoshop would be earning a fortune......

Crop yes. but only from original file size, no 100% crop etc........

Disappointed the upside down guy wasn't giving him "the bird" a la "Top Gun"

Thanks Suzanne......(y)

Was it just a contrast and brightness adjustment?

Agree with the contrast and saturation, looks much better.

I've not done any aerospace photography so can't comment on you might achieve it, but, perhaps look at how you can capture the movement a bit more. They're frozen in space in the shot, if it were cars the panning would introduce the speed. Plenty of great aerospace togs on here to learn from though. (y)

Mark

Mark - how do you propose capturing movement on a shot like that??????

In Motorsport it is relatively easy as there is a background / reference point ............to blur as you pan....

Unfortunately no propellers to blur either........... however am open to suggestions.

Mark - how do you propose capturing movement on a shot like that??????

In Motorsport it is relatively easy as there is a background / reference point ............to blur as you pan....

Unfortunately no propellers to blur either........... however am open to suggestions.

I said I didn't know how:D.

I guess it's very very difficult to do, it may work better as a tighter crop, the space to right is dead because the movement isn't / can't be conveyed in the shot. :shrug:

Trouble with that is you'll lose a lot of image quality.

Of course I could be talking utter carp:LOL:

Hi Lynton,
I've checked you Exif..
Seems ok apart from -0.3 thus under exposing..

Plus the way you have cropped might not help? closer to the rear of Jet but leave some at the front for the Jet to 'Fly into'

Settings I use...

Aircraft in the sky no need to go for Background Blur, nothing to blur against.
Fastest shutter speed available on usually f8 for fast jets, for sharpest image depending on lens..
Centre Weighted metering, and AI Servo.
I try and use RAW instead of Jpeg, more chance of recovering a photo if exposure drops off ..
Over expose sometimes up to +1.. Always keep an eye on the Histogram..

Should get better result for original file..
turkallstars-1.jpg

Last edited:
Neil --------

pretty much I leave the pentax k20d on -0.3 as tends to overexpose......

thanks for the tips as to SSpeed and metering though..(y)

Back