Twin flash diffusers

I have them on my Yongnuo twin flash, very good fit and do the job...... But can't say how they'd with your lens.

Thank you, were they easy to put on? Also how close can you get to the subject?

Watching with interest- no direct knowledge of the products linked (although they do look interesting).

Was wondering about whether its be practically possible to 3D print camera accessories such as flash diffusers a couple of days ago with a colleague..

Watching with interest- no direct knowledge of the products linked (although they do look interesting).

Was wondering about whether its be practically possible to 3D print camera accessories such as flash diffusers a couple of days ago with a colleague..
I believe some are 3D printed

I have these for mt26-ex-rt. I had tried lots of homemade diffusers. You can’t beat having something that’s actually made for the job. Takes away all the harsh light now and I feel has actually made my flash useful. I can’t believe how bad the canon effort is compared to these. I use these in combination with the 100mm with a 2.5 raynox and able to get the light onto the subject at closest possible focus. As for mpe65 you’ll have to see if anyone has that combo or buy and try for yourself.

Thank you, were they easy to put on? Also how close can you get to the subject?
I mainly use it on my sigma 150 macro and no issues getting to the minimum focus distance... Also tried it on my sigma 70 macro, which although a prime, the inner barrel extends when focusing, but it doesn't rotate although the focusing distance is shorter than the 150....which does cause an issue in some shots....
They appear 3d printed and fit very well and have stayed in place without incident. There is also room to add more diffusing medium if required.

I mainly use it on my sigma 150 macro and no issues getting to the minimum focus distance... Also tried it on my sigma 70 macro, which although a prime, the inner barrel extends when focusing, but it doesn't rotate although the focusing distance is shorter than the 150....which does cause an issue in some shots....
They appear 3d printed and fit very well and have stayed in place without incident. There is also room to add more diffusing medium if required.
My Canon MPE65 mm has a minimum focus distance of about 40 mm - would it be possible to see if you can get that close, so I know that it will work before I buy them.

My Canon MPE65 mm has a minimum focus distance of about 40 mm - would it be possible to see if you can get that close, so I know that it will work before I buy them.
Hi David,
I too have the same diffusers + MP-E65mm I'm also having the same issues beyond 1:1 Just wondering if you have had any more information re these other diffusers? I see also that they are now producing them with new white material inside, as opposed to the self adhesive foil that you had to stick in place yourself.

Last edited:
Dave, why not contact the seller direct on his website and ask him, nothing to lose eh
These do look good though.

Hi David,
I too have the same defusers + MP-E65mm I'm also having the same issues beyond 1:1 Just wondering if you have had any more information re these other defusers? I see also that they are now producing them with new white material inside, as opposed to the self adhesive foil that you had to stick in place yourself.
Which ones do you have - I am having a slow day.
Dave, why not contact the seller direct on his website and ask him, nothing to lose eh
These do look good though.
Apparently they will be on sale in late January. I am just worried that the seller might exagerate how good they are.

If they are like a 10er then I wouldn`t worry too much, if they are less than that all the better but if they are more like £15-20 then yes you do hope they are good.
Besides, if they are not good you are allowed to return then as "Faulty" goods.

Which ones do you have - I am having a slow day.

Apparently they will be on sale in late January. I am just worried that the seller might exagerate how good they are.

Hi David, sorry for the late reply. My deffusers are the same as yours I believe, 3D printed with magnets, bought them off eBay. Using them on my Yongnuo YN24EX.

Last edited:
Steward Wood made a video review on some a while ago, same suplier?

Steward Wood made a video review on some a while ago, same suplier?

Yes, the 3D printed type, the very same as those Steward Wood reviewed. Fine if you are shooting at 1:1 but not so great using an MP-E65 beyond that as they get in the way. There is an alternative manufacturer Ian McConnachie a very helpful guy, at Macrodiffuser.com

I've messaged him regarding the issues I'm having, and he informs me that his will allow you to get closer. He now manufactures his diffusers with a white insert inside the main housing, negating the need to insert the old sticky silver foil method.

He is also considering putting together a video at some point. Hope this helps those of you considering a purchase.

Last edited:
Yes, the 3D printed type, the very same as those Steward Wood reviewed. Fine if you are shooting at 1:1 but not so great using an MP-E65 beyond that as they get in the way. There is an alternative manufacturer Ian McConnachie a very helpful guy, at Macrodiffuser.com

I've messaged him regarding the issues I'm having, and he informs me that his will allow you to get closer. He now manufactures his deffusers with a white insert inside the main housing, negating the need to insert the old sticky silver foil method.

He is also considering putting together a video at some point. Hope this helps those of you considering a purchase.
Ian's ones are now avaliable again. I would recommend the others because as nelg says they get in the way (I have them).
They might work if you put the flash on a flash mount like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-Universal-Dual-Twin-Flash-Mount-Bracket-UK-Seller/261769347545
- I will test that and see if it works.

Ian's ones are now avaliable again. I would recommend the others because as nelg says they get in the way (I have them).
They might work if you put the flash on a flash mount like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-Universal-Dual-Twin-Flash-Mount-Bracket-UK-Seller/261769347545
- I will test that and see if it works.
Got that Mount and apart from stiffness, hopefully the arms get a bit easier to bring in position with time, I find it more versatile than lensmounting the flashheads.

I've messaged him regarding the issues I'm having, and he informs me that his will allow you to get closer. He now manufactures his diffusers with a white insert inside the main housing, negating the need to insert the old sticky silver foil method.

As promised Ian has put together this video (and given me permission to share) of his diffusers in action. They do appear less bulky than the 3D printed type that I currently use.

View: https://youtu.be/jUUUvuLFtd4

Last edited:
I've bought the Macrodiffuser.com units for the Nikon R1 flash. The R1 is also new to me, so I'll report back once I've had a chance to try it all out (hoping this weather will improve soon). First impressions are that fit and finish are excellent

As promised Ian has put together this video (and given me permission to share) of his diffusers in action. They do appear less bulky than the 3D printed type that I currently use.

View: https://youtu.be/jUUUvuLFtd4
Thanks for that, it looks to me like despite them being fixed to the ring they can still be used at close magnification - unlike some other brands.

Thanks for that, it looks to me like despite them being fixed to the ring they can still be used at close magnification - unlike some other brands.

Yes, my thoughts too. I'll be investing in the very near future I think. I'm currently trying these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-Universal-Dual-Twin-Flash-Mount-Bracket-UK-Seller/261769347545 not overly happy with them though. They are very difficult to manipulate, and I fear won't last long, particularly with the MP-E 65 as I'm constantly changing magnification and having to reposition.

Yes, my thoughts too. I'll be investing in the very near future I think. I'm currently trying these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-Universal-Dual-Twin-Flash-Mount-Bracket-UK-Seller/261769347545 not overly happy with them though. They are very difficult to manipulate, and I fear won't last long, particularly with the MP-E 65 as I'm constantly changing magnification and having to reposition.
I have them but stopped using them. I found that sometimes the flash heads would spin round and I would not get a photo. You might get better photos with them but if you miss photos...

First go with the Macrodiffuser.com units on a Nikon R1 flash (first go with the flash too). Not the best image (and struggled to find much to point it at), but this may well be as much user error as kit deficiency. Subject was around 15mm long. Taken with a Nikon 105mm macro with a 2x TC and cropped in a bit. There's a fairly obvious hot-spot from the diffuser on the head but otherwise it's not too bad for a first go

Unknown invertebrate by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Last edited:
BTW I have bought them - hopefully next weekend I will be giving them ago.

I have them but stopped using them. I found that sometimes the flash heads would spin round and I would not get a photo. You might get better photos with them but if you miss photos...

Yes, experiencing the same too. But I guess at that price point it was worth a look.

First go with the Macrodiffuser.com units on a Nikon R1 flash (first go with the flash too). Not the best image (and struggled to find much to point it at), but this may well be as much user error as kit deficiency. Subject was around 15mm long. Taken with a Nikon 105mm macro with a 2x TC and cropped in a bit. There's a fairly obvious hot-spot from the diffuser on the head but otherwise it's not too bad for a first go

Unknown invertebrate by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr
Thanks for sharing Simon, may need a little more diffusion material added inside.

Thanks for sharing Simon, may need a little more diffusion material added inside.

I was wondering (I'm pretty new to using flash with macro). Not sure whether it needs more diffusion inside or across the top of the two flash units. Was also planning to reduce the flash power to see if this helps. I'll have a further play when I've more time. I'd likely to get to the stage where I'm vaguely proficient with it in time for Spring arriving and there being more creepy crawlies around to practice on!

I was wondering (I'm pretty new to using flash with macro). Not sure whether it needs more diffusion inside or across the top of the two flash units. Was also planning to reduce the flash power to see if this helps. I'll have a further play when I've more time. I'd likely to get to the stage where I'm vaguely proficient with it in time for Spring arriving and there being more creepy crawlies around to practice on!
I wrongly assumed that you had tried reducing the flash output. Give that a go first, if you're still getting hot spots then try diffusing more.

Had another go with the Nikon R1 and diffusers in the garden at home today, definitely more diffusion needed. Might have a go with additional diffusion inside the diffuser as I'm not sure how I'd attach it otherwise (and how usable it'd be out and about otherwise). Annoyingly discovered that I can't use the Nikon flash front mounted with a Raynox

Ladybird in the garden - playing with flash by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Taken with a Nikon D810 and 105mm macro with 1.7x TC handheld. Single shot @ F16. Really struggling with acquiring focus and depth of field with a single shot at these working distances. Not impressed with the amount of detail I'm getting but I'm sure it's user error, certainly in this instance. Couldn't have got the tripod where I needed to be to take the shot and it was awkward getting to the angle I wanted. Still, plenty to work on.

Last edited:
Back