Thanks,
Russ
B&W.jpg Phesant.jpg

Last edited:
Trying this for something different.
Comments?
Thanks,
Russ

The second one looks extremely dark to me. Perhaps that is exactly as you intended, so you might want to ignore the rest of this comment. :) That said, FWIW, I think it has potential as a study of light and shadow interacting with structure, pattern and shape. But for that to work (for me) the exposure/brightness needs raising by something over a stop, and I would be inclined to do some other things to it too, with clarity up a bit, whites (this is in Lightroom-speak) up enough to close the gap at the top of the histogram (that is after raising the exposure by perhaps 1.3 stop or so), and some mild sharpening. (I can't illustrate the effect I'm thinking of as you have Edit my Image, No. If I was going down the route of "light and structure" I would probably have gone for less dead space on the left and more of the (really rather excellent) feather showing, probably all of it in fact. But that is all personal preference of course, and it is your image, so it is your taste that matters here.

The first one looks slightly dull to me (dull as in not bright, not dull as in boring). The trouble is (it seems to me) that putting a feather with that big block of dark area at the top against a black background makes it difficult to stop the right hand parts of the dark area merging into the background and difficult to bring out structure in those areas without at the same time raising the background from black. Perhaps some intermediate brightness would allow separation of both the bright and dark areas of the feather from the background. Or perhaps a little more light illuminating the right hand side. But here again, some or all of this may go contrary to what you had in mind.

The second one looks extremely dark to me. Perhaps that is exactly as you intended, so you might want to ignore the rest of this comment. :) That said, FWIW, I think it has potential as a study of light and shadow interacting with structure, pattern and shape. But for that to work (for me) the exposure/brightness needs raising by something over a stop, and I would be inclined to do some other things to it too, with clarity up a bit, whites (this is in Lightroom-speak) up enough to close the gap at the top of the histogram (that is after raising the exposure by perhaps 1.3 stop or so), and some mild sharpening. (I can't illustrate the effect I'm thinking of as you have Edit my Image, No. If I was going down the route of "light and structure" I would probably have gone for less dead space on the left and more of the (really rather excellent) feather showing, probably all of it in fact. But that is all personal preference of course, and it is your image, so it is your taste that matters here.

The first one looks slightly dull to me (dull as in not bright, not dull as in boring). The trouble is (it seems to me) that putting a feather with that big block of dark area at the top against a black background makes it difficult to stop the right hand parts of the dark area merging into the background and difficult to bring out structure in those areas without at the same time raising the background from black. Perhaps some intermediate brightness would allow separation of both the bright and dark areas of the feather from the background. Or perhaps a little more light illuminating the right hand side. But here again, some or all of this may go contrary to what you had in mind.
Hi, Thank you for the reply and advice. This is a new project for me so will take on board your comments and try again. Russ

Back