Two Flashguns

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at using two flashguns to photograph people indoors. One will be on the camera, the other will be on the tripod. Would it be best to have the tripod to the side at say a 90 degree angle to the control flash? Would it be best to have both flashguns bouncing off the ceiling? I know a lot depends on the room itself but I'm just looking for a rule of thumb.

Sorry for the boring answer but google strobist (strobist.com) and planetneil :D

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a good read through those.

Don't let Strobist hear you speak about on-camera flash, you are liable to get a slap!

I am no expert in flash but I would doubt there is anything to be gained by bouncing two flashes off the ceiling, it would just add more light and not make a difference to the light ratios or the direction of the light.

Flash is all about ratios, I would suggest using the on-camera flash only to trigger the off-camera flash. Place the off-camera flash on a tripod. Have the subject face the camera and the off-camera flash at a 45 degree angle to the face on both the horizontal and vertical. This creates an effect called Rembrandt lighting that, if done correctly, creates a triangular shadow on the subjects cheek on the side away from the flash.

Use a reflector (make from tinfoil taped to cardboard if you don't have a reflector) to lessen the shadows on the offside of the face if needs be.

I can dig that, I often use my compact for impromptu portraits of the kids in available light. I usually use the flash (albeit set to low output) to create a little catchlight in their eyes. Works pretty good and no off camera flash used.

Thanks for the replies. Lots of reading and playing to do I think. (y)

I'd definitely have a play with one direct, one bounced and then have two bounced to see what the difference is and if it suits the subject.

I'd definitely have a play with one direct, one bounced and then have two bounced to see what the difference is and if it suits the subject.

Cheers. I will definitely be doing that over the next couple of days, may even post up the results.

I was wondering the same a few months back and then I found Strobist. Now I am pricing up a mobile off camera flash set up, and getting obbsessed with trying out portrait/studio photography. Its a slippery slope! But who cares, I'll be having fun!

In fact as we speak I am looking to make the order today so I can get going with things.

All the best with your experimenting fella!

I was wondering the same a few months back and then I found Strobist. Now I am pricing up a mobile off camera flash set up, and getting obbsessed with trying out portrait/studio photography. Its a slippery slope! But who cares, I'll be having fun!

In fact as we speak I am looking to make the order today so I can get going with things.

All the best with your experimenting fella!

Cheers Rob.

Cheers. I will definitely be doing that over the next couple of days, may even post up the results.

Good! Look forward to having a looksie!
If you fancy any helps or suggestions count me in Mr F (y)

Cheers Tom. :)

Ney bother at all, I'll try to help out in any way I can.
I'm still learning and have so much to learn too but I've been into the strobist methods since March, so there's a little info rattling around, I think :thinking:.

Back