Two of a nice horse

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I'm so not into horses even though I do a lot of polo photography, but occasionally I think they photograph particularly well. Here's a white one with brown spots.

#1 Curvy
347603832_4NhJq-L.jpg

#2 In action - looks quite big and bouncy, and pops out well from the background. Looks a bit skitzy in fact - wouldn't catch me riding it.
347604193_Vf39X-L.jpg

Tobers

That's what is known in the trade as a "flea bitten gray" mate. there's no such thing as a white horse, even the famous "dancing white horses of the Spanish Riding School of Vienna" are grey. Nice shots though, even though I can't stand a hogged mane!!!

Ah! Excellent. I need to get into the lingo. A "flea bitten grey" (or gray) it is then.

And a "hogged mane" is like a #1 buzz cut. I guess this is done to stop the long mane getting tangled up in a swinging polo mallet.

They're hogged because a flowing mane actually disrupts the rider's view of the ball.

Not quite sure about the DoF on the first, 2nd is a lovely shot. I see the pitch was cutting up quite a bit. At Hertfordshire last weekend they were getting the spectators to tread in every 2 chukkas but the pitch still looked like the Somme at the end!

BTW, it's gray only if you're American!;)

Good God, did I really spell it gray? If I'd written gris then that would make sense but gray? what an Idiot!!
Fabs is right about the "why" of a hogged mane, though a much more elegant solution is to "plait" the mane.
Tara

Good God, did I really spell it gray? If I'd written gris then that would make sense but gray? what an Idiot!!
Fabs is right about the "why" of a hogged mane, though a much more elegant solution is to "plait" the mane.
Tara

Good luck getting polo grooms to plait mains!

Back