Tynemouth at night

Name
STEVE WINN
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken at 3 am ish. On night shift. Never done this kind of thin before and it does show but would appreciate some C&C.

Think it was 20 second exposure with a tokina 12-24 F4.

I have tried to tweak the levels slightly and cropped the shot also. Lots of black space to the images left otherwise or too much left in anyway?

whitleyatnight.jpg

It appears to be technically solid photo, and the colors are nice, but without a stronger subject, the shot is rather unsatisfying.

It appears to be technically solid photo, and the colors are nice, but without a stronger subject, the shot is rather unsatisfying.

Thank you for that I realised the subject matter leaves you uninspired, it does me ! I was more concerned with my technical application of the camera. The location was a random part of the coastline and was one of three shots I took while no one was looking. This was the only one useable.(y)

Can you get any closer to that lighthouse?

For me, the orange glow is just :puke:. I know it's the street lighting that's done this, and unavoidable, so I reckon if you can get closer and shoot straight out to sea you'd get more pleasing colours, and more 'interest' too.

Thaks , I will give it a go this Friday and yes I can get a lot closer to the lighthouse. I will give it some thought this time.:D

As said, the colours are nice, a bit OTT perhaps, but not bad as such.

The shot needs a few things addressing imho.

The water acts as a good lead into the distance, but when you get there, there is no real focal point for the eye to rest on.

Also, the shot looks quite soft, especially in the foreground which suggests you focused on the distant lights or had some camera shake on the tripod? My advice would be to get closer to the ground if possible, really make use of an interesting foreground, and use the water line as a lead into the distance.

Compositionally, the horizon being almost on the half way line doesn't really work for me in this shot either.

deffo got potential though, as all of these things are easily solved :)

Last edited:
Great feedback, will try Friday. I was actually 20 feet bove the beach, having just jumped out of my van to snatch a few shots when no one was looking - I was at work, don't tell anyone.

There are some fab textures in those rocks below and yes I did focus on distance - but blindly - if you see what i mean?

Never really posted much on this forum (apart from the odd rant about retailers of begging for advice) but I think I may be able to give some valid input here. I think the orange glow looks pretty cool so, if you were aiming for that you've got it pretty much perfect. If you did want different coloured sky I have found that the only white balance you can get this from is auto. All the other white balances will give you the orange glow (which does look cool I have to say). Weirdly night has pretty much the same problems as day and when I've been taking some photographs recently in complete darkness if you expose the foreground properly the sky will have blown out. I've been using digital grad filters in Lightroom which have worked pretty well but there is no reason I can see for not using an ND grad when you take the shots. This post is probably really confusing as I find these things quite hard to explain but I will add links to some of my photos to give you an idea of what the auto white balance can do. I can't advise you to do exposures as long as I have in this weather though, it's bloody freezing! Also, I have no idea what causes it but I have weird blue-ish glowing bits in the bottom corners, they are not intentional so if anyone knows what they are or what causes them I would be thankful.

I don't want to take anything away from your shot so I haven't embedded them but here they are. Exif should be available on all if you wanted to take a look.

http://img.phyrefile.com/dr_q/2008/11/24/_DSC0004.jpg
http://img.phyrefile.com/dr_q/2008/11/24/_DSC0001-2.jpg
http://img.phyrefile.com/dr_q/2008/11/24/_DSC0001.jpg
http://img.phyrefile.com/dr_q/2008/11/24/_DSC0003.jpg

Back