Typhoon in HAS

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this the other night at work during a night shift.

The Aircraft was having maintenance done by the AV guys but they were waiting for parts so I used the opportunity to get the shot.

As you can see the ladder is deployed for access and the left hand AV Panel is open.

I didnt realise till I saw it on the computer that I havnt quite got it perfectly central :bonk:

Typhoon HAS by Sean_Morgan, on Flickr

Absolutely spot on.
I never knew the front "wings" tilted. Is that just for maintainence?
joe

hmm, people have always been very cagey (as in not allowed) about "straight down the inlet" shots whenever I've been around a Typhoon with a camera ...

Admittedly I'm a civvie.

joe1978 said:
Absolutely spot on.
I never knew the front "wings" tilted. Is that just for maintainence?
joe

Thanks Joe.

They're the foreplanes and that's the "parked" position. Not just for maintenance, it's just what they do when the flying control computers shut down.
(y)

heidfirst said:
hmm, people have always been very cagey (as in not allowed) about "straight down the inlet" shots whenever I've been around a Typhoon with a camera ...

Admittedly I'm a civvie.

I know what you mean. I don't know if you know why your not supposed to show pictures down the intakes?

I can't say on here but you can't see anything in this shot that your not supposed to, it's far too dark : thumbs:

loving this picture...

would love the opportunity to get in front of it and 'snap' away..

Love this! Although now I want to know what's up those inlets.....

Nice shot mate.

I do, serpentine ...

Hmmmm, I dont know if you've ever been down the intake of a Typhoon? I have, many times and trust me the "secret" stuff is not visible in my shot (y)

loving this picture...

would love the opportunity to get in front of it and 'snap' away..

Thanks mate (y) Its a rare treat of being in the forces.

Love this! Although now I want to know what's up those inlets.....

Thanks Greg, cant tell you its a secret :D

Nice shot mate.

Cheers Craig (y)
You coming to the next meeting?

Have a look at this.
topic=12510.0http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12510.0

There is nothing in Shaun's picture that you would not be able to see stood at the fence of the camp with a Telephoto lens. You wouldn't know if you saw it anyway.

Typhoon in a HAS by Phill Bradford, on Flickr

It was a good night for snapping Shaun! Always a pleasure. ;)

Cheers Phil (y)

Got us out the tea bar for a bit :LOL:

You wouldn't know if you saw it anyway.
Sure about that?;)
I do have an aero-engineering background admittedly from many years ago.
I've always found it faintly amusing given that I've actually got some very nice straight down the intake shots of Typhoons taken from the fence.

Hmmmm, I dont know if you've ever been down the intake of a Typhoon? I have, many times and trust me the "secret" stuff is not visible in my shot (y):
Not physically :p but I have been very up close & personal - so, if it's not visible from head-on anyway what's the problem?

Last edited:
Not physically :p but I have been very up close & personal - so, if it's not visible from head-on anyway what's the problem?

I'm no scientist experty type but I do know whats in there and the reasons why they dont want "people" to photograph it. It's probably overkill with the no shots down the intake thing, and like you say, you and many others have probably got loads of shots from around the fence etc

Anyway, hope you like the picture ;)

martsharm said:
That's lovely. The precision and angles of the jet contrast nicely with the artfully-neglected paintwork behind! Of course I'm confident they don't paint it for artistic reasons...

Thanks very much (y)

Your right, that's not a paint job, it's just cold war era old.

Nice shot, nice framing. Just a pity the background is as pale as the front of the jet as it kind of blends into it.

RubyX4 said:
Nice shot, nice framing. Just a pity the background is as pale as the front of the jet as it kind of blends into it.

Cheers Andy. I hadn't noticed that until now. I kinda like it tho :D

Nice shot mate, those HAS's are lovely to shoot in, very moody. I've had to crawl down those sodding intakes to photograph, not the most comfortable place in the world!

As ever though mate, spot on photography. A lad was asking me the other week about the photo club, is it still going strong?

Circuit Hero said:
Nice shot mate, those HAS's are lovely to shoot in, very moody. I've had to crawl down those sodding intakes to photograph, not the most comfortable place in the world!

As ever though mate, spot on photography. A lad was asking me the other week about the photo club, is it still going strong?

Cheers mate.

Yea they're a bit tight for the larger framed lads :LOL:

I know what you mean about the HAS's. Nice n cold this time of year, beats being on the line tho like 29SQN.

Yea the clubs going well. A good turn out and quite a few regulars. Send him my way if he's interested (y)

just wish there was a photo opportunities like this at wittering. rubbish having no aircraft on an raf base.

quik97 said:
just wish there was a photo opportunities like this at wittering. rubbish having no aircraft on an raf base.

I wish there was too I loved that camp and Stamford.

Maybe when JSF comes in.......?

I know what you mean. I don't know if you know why your not supposed to show pictures down the intakes?

I can't say on here but you can't see anything in this shot that your not supposed to, it's far too dark : thumbs:

Go on then, tell us...... you know you want to. :)

Last edited:
Nice shot, i'm surprised the decor is in bad repair inside all that paint flaking off but adds to the background (better than camo gren) also that ducting could well be from our company ! we've done quite a bit at Coningsby especially aircraft exhaust ventilation.

A really nice photo with great impact. As pointed out, there is always the risk of snapping something secret from inside or outside the fence, but this image dodges that bullet nicely - that stolen UFO technology is well and truly hidden behind the Flux-Capacitor!

In terms of the bad decor -I've spent an amount of time in the HAS's at Coningsby and this one isn't bad! In all fairness, they are functional and that is about it.

Regards,

Cheesy

Go on then, tell us...... you know you want to. :)

My lips are sealed :p

Nice shot, i'm surprised the decor is in bad repair inside all that paint flaking off but adds to the background (better than camo gren) also that ducting could well be from our company ! we've done quite a bit at Coningsby especially aircraft exhaust ventilation.

Cheers Graham. That back wall does get a bit of heat treatment every time we start one up :LOL:

A really nice photo with great impact. As pointed out, there is always the risk of snapping something secret from inside or outside the fence, but this image dodges that bullet nicely - that stolen UFO technology is well and truly hidden behind the Flux-Capacitor!

In terms of the bad decor -I've spent an amount of time in the HAS's at Coningsby and this one isn't bad! In all fairness, they are functional and that is about it.

Regards,

Cheesy

Thanks Cheesy. I like working out of the HAS's, deffo beats working on the line in winter!! (y)

i asked about a photography club at wittering sean. was told by the photo section there thinking of forming one.

When I was in the RAF they were even proscriptive about taking pictures inside the HAS incase it gave away construction details.

Nice shot BTW

i asked about a photography club at wittering sean. was told by the photo section there thinking of forming one.

Good stuff (y) If they dont you could always start it yourself. Theres not much too it, just send an all users e-mail to the entire station and you'll be surprised how many people are interested but either cant be bothered or havn't got the time to be on any sort of committee. Looks good on youre assessments too :D

Let me know if you need any help with it

When I was in the RAF they were even proscriptive about taking pictures inside the HAS incase it gave away construction details.

Nice shot BTW

Really. You'd be surprised what you can and can't take pictures of here. As long as you have the relevant permit from the Police Flight and read Station Routine Orders for all the restricted stuff its fine.

Back