Ullswater Star-Fail

Edit My Images
Yes
Ha. Oh well, you live and learn. Or more importantly, you learn to;

a) Stop dithering about and wondering if you should take the shot or not, otherise large banks of cloud roll in and ruin everything

b) Push process the film enough to get some shadow detail

c) Dont move the camera, even accidentally, even after only 5 minutes of the 3 hour plus exposure has gone.

Myself and woodsy turned up at 1am, amazing starfield. Got the cameras out. Unfortunately, for me, it involved what should have been a 3 hour exposure, but as the cloud rolled in, I pulled it and decided to push process by a couple of stops. I guess it was so underexposed there was no shadow detail.

Anyways, I may be bored enough at some point to sort all the problems with this and tidy it up enough to make it presentable. On the other hand. The 10 hour round trip and doing it properly seems a whole lot more inviting :D

acros046.jpg

I am more interested in knowing how you went from "posh house snapper" to "map boy". I have been a way too long. :p

On your re-visit try shooting some exposures of the foreground with a wide open aperture (correctly focussed of course). You will be amazed what you can blend later. (y)

Haha. Hadn't even noticed that! That'll be that damn Mr yellow tinkering again.

Strangely, I have been thinking about the idea of exposure blending with slide film, seems like cheating though somehow, even more than hdr with digital.

In theory, had I left the shutter open for the calculated 3 hour exposure, the foreground should have been fine. Oh well. Drawing board it is again!

On the other hand. The 10 hour round trip and doing it properly seems a whole lot more inviting :D

Hmmm maybe a nice clear night in the autumn ;)

Map boy... hahahahaha :LOL:

It has potential Gandhi... :shrug: ... but then again so did I, according to my school reports... :naughty:

:p

Wasn't it you who posted request location ideas that didn't include that boat house? :LOL: You only went and took this one of the famous boat house :LOL:

I actually quite like the accidental mess imperfectness of this :D But would love to see you do it the right way as well :)

I am more interested in knowing how you went from "posh house snapper" to "map boy". I have been a way too long. :p

lol It's because he's the only one who can read a map properly to get us all in the right place at the right time. My compass (cheap key ring) didn't even point in the right direction.

Our location planning consists of waking him up by shouting "Oi, Map Boy! Where are we going now!"

Thankfully the poor chap takes it all with good humour. Even with no sleep. :clap:

Wasn't it you who posted request location ideas that didn't include that boat house? :LOL: You only went and took this one of the famous boat house :LOL:

I actually quite like the accidental mess imperfectness of this :D But would love to see you do it the right way as well :)

Thanks Jo. I did indeed request location ideas. But this was right by the road and too much of an opportunity for a great variation on a cliched shot!

lol It's because he's the only one who can read a map properly to get us all in the right place at the right time. My compass (cheap key ring) didn't even point in the right direction.

Our location planning consists of waking him up by shouting "Oi, Map Boy! Where are we going now!"

Thankfully the poor chap takes it all with good humour. Even with no sleep. :clap:

My god. It actually felt like Gary was in the room then.

I like this Ghandi, and especially that it was done on film!
Map boy was one of those "you had to be there" moments

Back