Umbrellas/Softbox ..Recommendations?

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at buying a Reflective and Shoot Through Umbrella because at the moment I'd like to avoid spending lots on a high quality softbox.

I've been loooking at

Lastolite 80cm Dual Duty Silver / Black / White Umbrella
12393.jpg

And pairing it with

Manfrotto MN026 Lite Tite Swivel and Umbrella Adaptor
1005217.jpg

Or maybe the Lastolite Tilthead with Metz Bracket

But i'm unsure on how good the 2 in 1 Lasolite 80cm Umbrella. It seems good, having just one main umbrella and attaching the 'cover' to turn it into a reflective. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've read about the Manfrotto Adaptor and have been told that it's a good bit of kit as well.

Can anyone recommend a decent starter kit for umbrellas/stand? Or maybe even a softbox... I've been looking at the Lastolite Ezybox Hotshoe 60x60cm but that is damn expensive...

Any help appreciated,

Jay

An alternative to the Manfrotto umbrella swivel is this Calumet one. It's pretty much identical (I've got both it and the Manfrotto one) but comes complete with the spigots, which add about £12 to the price of the Manfrotto one, but for less than the branded product.

Calumet's Ebay store are doing a 60" umbrella, similar to the Lastolite one, for £14.99 plus p+p. On the website it is £29.99 plus p+p ;)

+1 for camulet adapter.

I third the thumbs up for the Calumet umbrolly. I got one a few weeks ago and it is good.

And another for the Calumet, though i had to wait 6 weeks after paying for it when i ordered:cautious: though did only pay £16.98

Rob.

I just bought the 60" Umbrella off ebay along with the Swivel Adaptor :)

£14.99 (Umbrella) + £15.98 (Adaptor) + £6.99 P&P = £37.96 total

Appreciate the quick replies, I wanted to order today, hopefully in time for this weekend!

I just bought the 60" Umbrella off ebay along with the Swivel Adaptor :)

£14.99 (Umbrella) + £15.98 (Adaptor) + £6.99 P&P = £37.96 total

Appreciate the quick replies, I wanted to order today, hopefully in time for this weekend!

(y) with the free p+p and the price reduction on the umbrella you've effectively got the adapter for nowt :D

I'm v. happy I decided to post before I bought.

One thing I am thinking though is the umbrella is quite large, 152cm. I may need a smaller one as well, im thinking about half the size. Or does it not make that much difference? I mean, i'm going to mainly use it for portraiture.

Thanks flash, been struggling to find manfrotto tilt. For the record, mine came with the brass monkey :) will buy a couple of cam's tilts instead.

I got the 60" cam brolly. One word - massive. If you'll be doing head and shoulders shots, get yourself a medium sized brolly too. Just did some brolly and softbox testing, very little difference between the large and medium brollys.

You can get the hybrid umbrella/softboxes in 100cm size for around £20, either from Ebay or I think either Photomart or Speedgraphic sell something similar too at around the same money.

FITP, do you have a link to calumets ebay store? I can't seem to find them..

(y)

The 60" is great although it's very large... I would make sure you have a lot of space to use this in as it's only just manouverable in my room!

Back