Umbrella's

Name
Will Reynolds
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I do alot of home studio work and used to jsut use day light bulbs and get some great effect. I want to start moving in to the relms of using flash at home. I have got my self an Sb 800 and looking to get an SB 24 and 25 when i get back from holiday.

I was wondering if people used umbrella's at all on thier flash's? If not what do people use for close up work and model work!?

Cheers

Will

I've just got my flash bracket through today and I'm looking at umbrellas now. Shoot through white umbrellas are popular because of their softbox qualities.

However I've made my own DIY attempt at a softbox that sits on top of my SB600. The box is a shoebox with the lid cut off, the inside is coated with tin foil and a screen of paper is the diffuser. I've got some fantastic effects with it so far.

Have a look here for other DIY projects http://www.diyphotography.net/ (y)

Umbrellas are excellent for use with flash or studio lights. Ideally get a Silver, White and a shoot through one. That way you can find which is best for you and in different situations.

Dave

i have a pair of shoot through ones to soften the light and i am very impressed for the price. I would prefer softboxes to stop spill but then again i might be going down the route of proper studio strobes compared to flashes.

In my experience, if you're suffering from light leakage, and do not have enough power, then a silver reflector brolly may be better. In my experience, you need a really big softbox to beat the convenience and ease of use of shoot through brollies.

so if i have ample light (from the flashes with shoot through umbrellas), would it be wise to move to silver backed reflector type umbrellas?

so if i have ample light (from the flashes with shoot through umbrellas), would it be wise to move to silver backed reflector type umbrellas?

Silver brollies give a harder light, so if you have enough light, stick with the white shoot-through ones.

Back