Underwater Housing

Edit My Images
No
hi all i'm going to egypt in august and would like to try some underwater photography. i have been looking at the Dicapac casings on ebay, like this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNDERWATER-CA...3.l1177&_trkparms=240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

firstly has anyone here ever used one of these casings for underwater photography if so what are they like?

secondly if u havnt used one would u trust it with ** camera? says its waterproof to 5m which is plenty deep enough for me, just wondering what u guys think about this type of 'cheaper' underwater housing

thanks all

Not sure if i would be brave enough to put my camera in that!!

How about one of the cheaper waterproof P&S cameras?

Might give one of those a go, got an old 350d that i could whack inside!

Yea i think i might give it a try, if it goes wrong im only using a 400d at the moment so just means i'll have to upgrade sooner :LOL:

I have never used a case like that.

Having researched underwater cases extensively I guess that case is :shrug:, but not for taking your camera into the water, it may well be a good case for such rough terrain as sandy-beaches, sandy locations (Pyramids come to mind). But even then, I go out and shoot in the sand dunes of my country, which isn't much worse than what you'll find in Egypt, and I don't find I need a case like that.

So, it's back to sandy-beaches, a nice cold Cola, and shooting wild-stuff .. that's where I'd use that. Anywhere else, that would be a bit too risky for me.

I have used a Dicapac quite a bit in some of the rivers in the Amazon and on Lake Titicaca. Its a reliable piece of kit as long as you use it properly (like anything). Its easier to use than the more expensive Ewa-marine housings but has a lower pressure rating so can be used at less depth. The important thing to ensure you do when using the Dicapac (apert from checking the seals) is to make sure the camera lens is right up against the glass of the case so the filed of view isn't obscured. Its also easier to use the various functions on your camera than with the Ewa-marine, although its still a fiddle and takes a bit of practice.

It's not a replacement for top end housings but it will be adequate for your needs.

Back