Uni Newspaper

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys I could use a little advice.

I have been asked if i can shoot sports tommorrow for my uni newspaper I could be shooting one or more of: Football, Rugby, Hockey and Tennis. Which I don't know, and whether they are inside or out i don't know (assuming out for rugby at least) Though they all should be during the afternoon early enough for light to not be an issue (12 or 2 O'clock start).

I intend to be using my 450d and a 80-200 f2.8 L (arrived today so not had much practice yet). I also have the kit 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS, a canon 50mm f1.8, a tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 and a canon 35-105 f3.5-4.5.
I have a speedlight 430exII and PT-04 triggers along with a tripod as well.

What tips can you give me, I know to keep the shutters high and the apertures low to freeze action and give background separation and that a 450d gets real noisy at high iso.

The photo's are only for the uni paper but i would like to make them as professional as possible (I would like to begin making a little money on the side and this would be useful in a portfolio).

Any post processing tips would be appreciated (I have cs4) as well as advice on etiquette ect.

Cheers David

Hi guys I could use a little advice.

I have been asked if i can shoot sports tommorrow for my uni newspaper I could be shooting one or more of: Football, Rugby, Hockey and Tennis. Which I don't know, and whether they are inside or out i don't know (assuming out for rugby at least) Though they all should be during the afternoon early enough for light to not be an issue (12 or 2 O'clock start).

I intend to be using my 450d and a 80-200 f2.8 L (arrived today so not had much practice yet). I also have the kit 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS, a canon 50mm f1.8, a tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 and a canon 35-105 f3.5-4.5.
I have a speedlight 430exII and PT-04 triggers along with a tripod as well.

What tips can you give me, I know to keep the shutters high and the apertures low to freeze action and give background separation and that a 450d gets real noisy at high iso.

The photo's are only for the uni paper but i would like to make them as professional as possible (I would like to begin making a little money on the side and this would be useful in a portfolio).

Any post processing tips would be appreciated (I have cs4) as well as advice on etiquette ect.

Cheers David

If your outside shooting any of these sports your 450D and your 80-200 will be fine. Try to keep the aperture low e.g. f2.8 and set your 450D auto focus to AI Servio and use the middle square in the viewfinder for tracking and focusing. Try and keep the shutter speeds high nothing below 1/400th outside to freeze the action. If your inside I would work with your 50mm at 2.2 but this might not give you enough reach to get the best action shots so you might have to use your 80-200 but I doubt you'll get a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the action. To sperate the players from the background you need 1. A small aperture and 2. The long the lens the more blur in the blackground e.g. 200mm will have a blurryer background than 100mm. With regards to PP just try to get it right in camera and the only thing you should have to do in PP is noise reduction (if needed?) a bit of levels and a sharpen. Good luck (y)

awesome that was all the stuff i was thinking of,
with using the 50 indoors why 2.2 not 1.8 ?

I've found that at 1.8 I don't get the depth of field I need and you have to be totally error free. At 2.2 I get the depth of field and more keepers. Make sure you give your AF time to track as well So you have to follow the game and track with your middle focus point then take a few shots.

brilliant, I haven't had the nifty long either so i hadn't picked up on that quirk yet
Cheers Ally

I was wondering about flash for inside shooting, any thoughts on positioning, power will depend on the lighting in the gym.

my triggers should be reliableish for about 30 ft

Flash inside is a big big :nono: during the events. The other thing is your flash will most likely be a different colour temperature to the ambient light in the hall so you will get odd colour casts. In america they use stobes that are high up in the rafters which they fire but over here that is not allowed.

got ya flash bad mmmkay
I have a set of filters for flash wb issues but like a pillock left them home
So i should be pretty sorted for shooting
I will upload the pics here once i am done.

Any thoughts as to what is ok in the line of copyrighting, is it just email em plain and let the editors do what they want. Any thoughts about file formats ect, I guess processed jpeg but what size is normal? Or is that just a q for the image editor

got ya flash bad mmmkay
I have a set of filters for flash wb issues but like a pillock left them home
So i should be pretty sorted for shooting
I will upload the pics here once i am done.

Any thoughts as to what is ok in the line of copyrighting, is it just email em plain and let the editors do what they want. Any thoughts about file formats ect, I guess processed jpeg but what size is normal? Or is that just a q for the image editor

Ask them what they want. I would have thought jpg would be wanted. E-mail them clean no watermarks etc but ask the editor do you want them cropped? what size of file do you want? do you want any PP applyed? Its all about what the client wants.

Right I'm back after shooting, any ideas on specifics of PP or just crop (and do levels ect) and email as a smallish jpeg

Back