Critique UPDATE! - First Attempt at Boxing

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
As the title suggests, I had my first experience of shooting boxing on Friday. Loved every minute but very different to what i'm used to. Lighting was pretty poor but my trusty D3 seemed up to the task as usual. Love that camera!

Critique welcome.

DJW_9172
by jumper80, on Flickr

DJW_8207
by jumper80, on Flickr

DJW_1542
by jumper80, on Flickr

The brightness, detail and lighting all look very good. Just need to nail those hits and you're onto a winner :)

Thanks Carl and agree completely, my timing needs a little work but am hoping that will come with practice.

I discarded a lot of pictures because they were softer than I would have liked - a number of them being 'hit' shots. I've posted a couple of examples below. Out of curiosity, was I being too harsh or was I right to discard them? I've recorded my initial thoughts above each of them.

1. (fighter in the foreground soft due to DOF)

DJW_7249
by jumper80, on Flickr

2. (fighter on the right soft due to movement after the hit)

DJW_7446
by jumper80, on Flickr

Last edited:
better than my attempt

the last 2 are good
the show action and not every photo has to be sharp to be good

you're too harsh
I think this is really tough
the only thing I'd do is try to separate the guy on the right in #2 from the background as his skin is very dark
I think it's a good shot
don't forgot for the organiser, some of these will go into a paper with really low DPI requirements.
the action is more important than the quest for sharpness

Your being far too hard on yourself, both great images in my opinion and I'm a fight fan and keen photographer.

great first effort at boxing :)

Thanks guys, all really good points and good to get some other opinions on them. Looks like I need to be a little less strict on myself!!

the only thing I'd do is try to separate the guy on the right in #2 from the background as his skin is very dark

Yep, I had noticed that. The lights were very much concentrated in the centre of the ring so as they got near the ropes, it was noticeably darker. I'm guessing my camera had a bit of a hard time with the huge contrast between the skin on the two fighters too. One was VERY light and the other was VERY dark. You can kind of see that on the second one as some parts of the lighter fighter's skin is actually overexposed. A bit of Photoshop work needed on that one I think!

great first effort at boxing :)

Glad you paid me a visit KIPAX. Was going to drop you a message as, looking through the forum, I get the impression that you're our resident boxing 'expert'. Was very curious to get your opinion amongst everyone else's.

Excellent shots, position, action etc but can't help feeling they would be stronger images in BW vs colour :)

Do you think so? All of them, or certain ones?
It's probably a very personal thing but i have a soft spot for B&W work and i think boxing is one of those subject that lends itself well to it. It's the atmosphere, the grittiness, very Raging Bull in style. The strong colours of the shorts, gloves etc. would all be tamed somewhat which i think would help the overall feel.

I reckon they'd all look good but your strongest candidate is "1. (fighter in the foreground soft due to DOF)", that converted to B&W would pop i reckon, certainly with all the moisture / liquid flying around.

DJW_7249
by jumper80, on Flickr

I've applied the standard Photoshop B&W filter. Interesting....

This is why I love photography, the way we all see things differently. I personally think that's now lost some of the pop that it had previously with the colours. Do you prefer that?

Yeah do like that but think we some additional tweak it's be an even more complete image e.g. curves, exposure, some sharpening, a vingette and maybe even add some grain to give it a very raw look.

DJW_7249 copy
by jumper80, on Flickr

Had a VERY quick play and am starting to see where I think you're coming from now. I think this one starts to show the grittiness you were talking about. Is this the kind of way you were thinking of going?

Very much so, of course it's all personal tastes but yes i do think its improved the image :)

What size of lens were you using, really like the shots.well caught action.

What size of lens were you using, really like the shots.well caught action.

I was using my trusty Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.

I was actually a bit worried as i'd never put the Tamron up against something ike this before - all the other sports I shoot (ice hockey, basketball) I always use my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8. This was the first time i've shot a sport when I haven't used my Nikon and the first time i'd used my Tamron for anything other than pre and post game awards. I was very pleased with its performance. That being said, I think i'm going to invest in a 50mm prime for when I do this kind of shooting in the future.

That being said, I think i'm going to invest in a 50mm prime for when I do this kind of shooting in the future.

Have you checked the focul length you where using..? I find 50 a tad too close for ringside.. esp when they are this side of the ring... Personally I prefer a 35mm prime..other side of ring i get full top to toe body action and this side just perfect for top body of 2 fighters and thats on a FF ... Each to his own of course but I would look into it a bit first.. see what 50 is like this side of ring :)

Have you checked the focul length you where using..? I find 50 a tad too close for ringside.. esp when they are this side of the ring... Personally I prefer a 35mm prime..other side of ring i get full top to toe body action and this side just perfect for top body of 2 fighters and thats on a FF ... Each to his own of course but I would look into it a bit first.. see what 50 is like this side of ring :)

Thanks for this. I'll have a look at the focal lengths of some of my shots to see where I was for them.

Just had a check through a handful of my images and there seems to be very few under the 50mm mark. Do you shoot with a crop body?

Just had a check through a handful of my images and there seems to be very few under the 50mm mark. Do you shoot with a crop body?

I used to ..most of my combat pics are crop but now FF ..its a little loose at the far end but a 1dx can handle the crop :) rest of ring its perfect.. like i say each to hsi own.. am not saying 35mm is the way to do it.. only that its my way and your best to double check before getting the lens... My way is to use a prime.. lots of others prefer zoom... always different ways to do one job :)

...always different ways to do one job :)

Agree completely. I need the 50mm for some other work so will probably give it a whirl. Can always fall back onto my Tamron zoom on the night if it isn't working. I shall report back once I pick one up and have a chance to give it a try :)

Excellent clear and well lit shots. Did you have to use any noise reduction on these?

Not at PP stage, but I do have in camera noise reduction switched on. All i've done at PP stage is add a little sharpness to make the edges 'pop' and a couple of them that were on the edges of the ring needed a little brightening as the lights in the edges weren't quite as strong.

Back