Updating the Firmware?

The firmware is the cameras operating system, like all software the manufacturer updates it either to correct bugs, alter parameters or add functions. Usually they also provide a complete list of changes that they have made and you should read through those carefully and decide if you need the update or will benefit from it as there is always a risk involved. Should you mess up or something go wrong when you are updating then you are not covered by guarantee, most camera shops will provide and do a firmware update for you too, if they mess up they have to fix it for you so sometimes this can be a safer route.

To help you in more detail you will have to post you camera make, model and current version of your firmware, from there we will be able to help more :)

Where do i find the current firmware version on my D50 and where would i get the latest one form if i don't have it already.

Thanks and sorry to hijack slightly

The Nikon guys will be able to help better but I would guess that your camera will display the current firmware version somewhere in one of the menu screens and updates should be availible directly from Nikon, probably under support or downloads once at the D50 section?

thanks steve

its the firmware version 1.1.1 on the eos 300D, i would guess thats the standard version?

im hopefully selling the camera soonish and upgrade (thats another story) so maybe it wouldnt be worth the risk unless i get a shop to do it! does it cost anything to get this done?

thanks in advance!
steve

usually there will be a charge involved.

If you are not having any problems as such and you are thinking of selling the camera then I really wouldn't bother. I am still running my 20D on an "old" firmware because I have no problems and don't need any of the extras that later firmwares bring. Sometimes updating can cause more problems than it solves.

Steve400, I've upgraded the firmware on my 300D a few times now, there's really nothing to it. I currently have the 'hacked' undutchables firmware on which gives me access to some of the hidden features. If you're selling on it's not worth doing though as you won't be getting the benefit.

I have just done a quick check for you and you are running the latest offical firmware anyway. You could change to one of the hacked versions floating around the web but if it goes wrong or indeed the camera develops a fault later on, canon will not repair it for you should they find out that you have used unofficial firmware.

ppp said:
Where do i find the current firmware version on my D50 and where would i get the latest one form if i don't have it already.

Thanks and sorry to hijack slightly

On the D70 you press Menu (obviously) go down to setup menu and scroll down to Firmware version. I can't imagine it's much different on the D50.

I've had a search through the Nikon support site and cannot find any newer firmware for the D50 but it might not be displayed because I don't own (and have registered on the Nikon site) that camera.

Your best bet is to sign up an account and register your camera, lenses, batteries etc and see if you can do a search on the firmware

Sign up here: http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikoneurope_en.cfg/php/enduser/acct_new.php?

thanks for all that info hi, great help!

i think ill maybe not bother, hopefully will upgrade before the summer time and i suppose better being safe than sorry!

next question?! should i go for the 20d/30d/350d/10d ?? i will probably stay with canon as my lenses are canon ones! they ones above are probably all i can scrape to afford!

thanks again

It depends on your budget and what you shoot.

Maybe it would be better to start a new thread on the subject with those details in? ;)

Back