Upgrade 400D or 30D

Name
Nigel Cliff
Edit My Images
Yes
My current 350D gives me all I want except when I need to use 800 or 1600 ASA and the noise is rather high,so within my budget of £350 max I am looking at either the 400D or the 30D.Can users let me know what the noise is like on these at the higher ASA speeds,oh and the 450D is not an option because I would;d need a new grip and to replace all my CF cards.

There are a couple of other threads going along a similar line - might be worth checking those out as well. If you're ruling the 450D out, then of the 2 you mention, I would go for the 30D anyday. (y)

My current 350D gives me all I want except when I need to use 800 or 1600 ASA and the noise is rather high,so within my budget of £350 max I am looking at either the 400D or the 30D.Can users let me know what the noise is like on these at the higher ASA speeds,oh and the 450D is not an option because I would;d need a new grip and to replace all my CF cards.

The 30D would be slightly better than the 400D at ISO performance, but not great. The 30D is just a revamped 20D, and although I love my 20D, high ISO performance is not stellar. If you went with a 30D, you would need a new grip and battery's anyway, the 30D is a bigger bodied camera compared with the 350D.

You could think about a 2nd hand 5D, but thats twice you budget. The ISO performance on that camera is superb.

A cheaper alternative is to buy a flash, then you wouldn't need the higher ISO's, depends what your taking images of to require the higher ISO's in the first place or look at the lenses you are using and perhaps get some faster glass.

Peter

Is your budget of £350 including anything you can get from the sale of the 350D or on top off? If its on top you may wish to look at the 40D which body only are around £450 in mint condition, the ISO handling you mention is far better on this than the 400D.

You can get a mint 30D for about £300, but I got mine for £250 inc. p&p. :p

Very good ISO handling imo. I just upgraded from a 300D and the change is fantastic!

There's no way a 400D compares to a 30D, they're in different leagues. :)

I've seen mint condition 400D's on eBay for £190 before. Absolute bargain at that price. In fairness, my 450D is going for £380 at the moment and I much preferred that over the 400D.

Back