Upgrade advice needed

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone. I'm currently saving to upgrade my kit but I'm having problems deciding which camera to go for. Hopefully, you'll be able to help me out. Here's the situation...

I currently own a Nikon D50 with 18-55mm kit lens, a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro lens and a cheapy 70-300mm Nikkor that's hardly been used.
Most of my pics are either landscapes or close up work requiring short focal lengths and I always shoot in RAW.

My options are a Nikon D200 or (gasp!) a Canon 5D.

After quite a bit of research, this is how I see it:

The D200 has the following advantages:
Professional, weatherproof, build quality.
Superb handling.
Could use my Sigma lens (the kit lens would be upgraded).
Better metering than the 5D.
Body is a lot cheaper than the 5D.

But, the 5D has these advantages:
Higher pixel count producing more detail in pics.
Sharper images straight out of the camera.
full frame sensor (meaning I could go wider).
Less noise than the D200.
Cheaper lenses.

I've been trying to choose for ages and I need help!! So, based on my requirements, what should I do?

If your happy with the Nikon system, lenses, camera layout, etc - I would probably suggest you stick with Nikon.

Have you actually tried either of the two your interested in (at a store, or if you know anyone who has them). That would be the first thing to do, make sure your happy with the size, weight, layout, etc.

They are both highly rated cameras and also quite costly so try before you buy should be your first step I think.

Goodluck(y)

Yes, thanks Warspite. I did try to handle some in Jessops but they didn't have either in stock :/
Think I'll go and have a fiddle!

Let me say straight off that for years I used Nikons. When I finally traded all my film gear in to go digital, I effectively started again so I had a choice of which marque I went with. I went Canon probably because I fancied a change, and the 20D was the one to get at the time in that price slot. I've never regretted the change, but I love both brands.

You're in the happy position that you're not too committed to one brand at the moment, but you need
to give it a lot of careful thought. I'd be more than happy to use either of those cameras.

You're primarily a landscape man so the attraction of the full frame is obvious. Here's the cruncher.... Canon are producing full frame sensors and bringing the price of them down at such a rate that they'll be going mainstream with them soon without a doubt. Nikon are sticking to their 1.5X crop sensors across all their range and have categorically stated they see no advantage in going full frame, and wont be doing it.

Just be aware that if you go the full frame route, you wont get away with using cheap glass. Full frame sensors show up every inadequacy of a lens particularly at the edges, and vignetting can be a problem. To really take advantage of that full frame sensor for tele applications, then you need to buy long lenses which cost mega bucks!

They're both quality cameras and as I see it the full frame thing is the only real issue depending on what your needs are. It's a bit more dosh I know, but have you thought about a 1D Mk2? The 1.3X crop sensor makes a huge difference to FOV, isn't too far away from full frame, but avoids the vignetting and other problems you can get with full frame, and is the choice of quite a few landscape bods. :)

i'd second ct's thoughts on the glass, where you've stated that the glass for 5d will be cheaper it will be infact at least as expensive at the standard zoom end and astronomically more once you look into telephoto.

as for the pixel count, i don't think there's really anything in it, the difference between 10 and 12 is very small, both will produce masses of detail.

personally i'd go for the d200 dues to the handling and the 1.5x crop. i love wide angle but all the new 10-20 (ish) zooms are out and in force, they do the job well and not that many people have a use for wider than the effective 15mm you can get anyway. the advantages of 1.5x if you use tele lenses outweigh it for me.

as is said above, they're both excellent cameras so y ou can't realy go wrong, nice position to be in really (y)

I adore my D70 and wonder why the extra sharpness straight out of camera is a good feature? I certainly don't find it an advantage, I like the richness and depth you get with the Nikon system, I don't know enough about it to make further comment other than I can usually tell a Canon shot by the fact that they mostly look a little too sharp for my taste.

Thanks for your input CT/Noah (EDIT: And thanks Marianne too!). I know I'll need good quality glass and my comment about the Canon lenses being cheaper was made after seeing this:

Canon 17-40 f/4 L USM = £533.
Nikon 12-24 f/4 AF-D DX = £719.
Is the Sigma 10-20mm up to the job?

I'm not interested in going for long telephotos as it's just not my thing.

Ribby said:
Is the Sigma 10-20mm up to the job?
there's been a few threads on this and imo (and many others) yes :) the tokina is a touch sharper at the edges, and so's the nikon but the 10mm is the winner for me and it has very low CA too.

The Nikon is £567 from Onestop :) ......& I have the Sigma 10-20mm....with the price at £270 from Jessops (using discount code) it's a bargain.

But I don't thing the 10-20 can be used on FF sensors.

Petemc used it on a slr film camera when his shutter died, so I dont see why not Linky He did get some issues, but it did work.

I dont think that discount code works anymore for the Sigma, used it myself on Wednesday no problem, but trying it over the weekend I couldnt find anything the SAVE-1010 worked with. :(

I think I'm leaning towards the Canon. The full frame sensor is the thing that keeps drawing me back to it (plus I've seen some truly beautiful landscapes taken with it).

Still time to change my mind though, lol.

Not trying to put you off, just a reminder.

The D200 has a built in flash unit, the 5D doesnt, for outdoor stuff you probably wont need it, but if you do the 5D will need an external unit(y)

Not sure if you know this or not:)

Warspite said:
Petemc used it on a slr film camera when his shutter died, so I dont see why not Linky He did get some issues, but it did work.

I dont think that discount code works anymore for the Sigma, used it myself on Wednesday no problem, but trying it over the weekend I couldnt find anything the SAVE-1010 worked with. :(

Well yes it will work but you'll get some 'looking down a tube' effects! Like Petemc had.

Back