Beginner Upgrade Body or Lens?

Edit My Images
Yes
I always wanted a Canon, for no particular reason other than I think they look nice and my Dad used to shoot with one...however, a couple of years ago when I was looking to buy my first DSLR, a friend offered me a used Nikon D60 for a very reasonable price, so I couldn’t really say no! And to be fair, it’s been great.

Now, a couple of years later just using the stock lens and after alot of abuse the poor Nikon is starting to look a bit tired with a few bits dropping off along the way...and I do sometimes feel I get higher quality, if more flat, images from my phone camera?

I enjoy landscape, architectural and wildlife photography most, and would love to try to shoot more wildlife photos if possible...so my question is, should I upgrade the body first (probably getting a Canon 1300D?) and look to get a telephoto lens down the line? Or is the stock lens limiting me more than the body and should I invest in a Nikon lens? Or should I stop worrying about getting a Canon, and stick with Nikon because they’re better?

EDIT: Or since I already have a birding spotting scope, should I get an adapter and try digiscoping?

Some example images here: https://flic.kr/p/ZB3AQM

Many thanks and sorry for the ramble!

Did you not ask the same or a very similar question in the last couple of days? On that exchange you said your Nikon was falling to pieces because of accidents, perhaps a point and shoot is the most suitable camera for your fingers.

Did you not ask the same or a very similar question in the last couple of days? On that exchange you said your Nikon was falling to pieces because of accidents, perhaps a point and shoot is the most suitable camera for your fingers.

I poste in the nature section, but didnt get too many replies with it being a niche forum, so though I’d re-post here for a bit more exposure and perhaps some more opinions/advice?

Thank you for accusing me of being clumsy, I don’t feel that’s a particularly appropriate or helpful response? It’s simply an old camera that’s had alot of use!

You'll probably need to state what your rough budget is.

Generally I think a lens would give you more (though I have no idea on digiscopes). However wildlife lenses tend to be long, landscape tend to be shorter (you can of course should anything with any lens!).

I guess I would ask in terms of focal length, do you feel you need wider or longer, or is there an issue with the camera you feel is affecting the images eg noise?

Good luck! If you state your budget you might get some actual suggestions. MPB and FFordes are decent for 2nd hand gear, as are the classifieds here.

You'll probably need to state what your rough budget is.

Generally I think a lens would give you more (though I have no idea on digiscopes). However wildlife lenses tend to be long, landscape tend to be shorter (you can of course should anything with any lens!).

I guess I would ask in terms of focal length, do you feel you need wider or longer, or is there an issue with the camera you feel is affecting the images eg noise?

Good luck! If you state your budget you might get some actual suggestions. MPB and FFordes are decent for 2nd hand gear, as are the classifieds here.

Many thanks for your response!

Probably about the £300 mark at the moment, due to career circumstances.

I feel often for wildlife, a longer focal length would be more desirable, and for landscaoes occasionally I would like a wider angle! Alongside all this, I find my images aren’t the highest quality... :/

Whether you want to stay with Nikon or move to Canon is your decision. All I hear - and I am not a hardware geek - is that Nikon has the better sensors (for the more recent cameras? for the older ones?).

Assuming you would get a crop camera, you would need two lenses or so. An 18-100 or thereabouts crop sensor lens to be your landscape and everyday lens and a longer one for wildlife. Once you are trying to go into long lenses you need deep pockets. For example, I would suggest for a longer lens a full frame 70-300 which in practice will start from somewhere 100mm equivalent of crop frame and will get as far as it gets. If you want longer than 300 start saving some serious money. [I suggested a full frame lens in case you decide you later want to move to a full frame camera]. There are some 18-300mm lenses but perhaps they are trying to do too much and quality may suffer. You have not said what lens you are using with your current Nikon but I see from Flickr it is an 18-55.

Finally, as what appears to be the most important thing on cameras is the sensor, you may always be a bit disappointed if you buy a cheaper camera because that is the best you can afford at that moment in time because you also want more lenses etc.

Normally, I think most people would say invest in lenses but the D60 is getting long in the tooth now. It's still capable of great images of course but you may find the high ISO and general speed and ease of operation on some newer bodies to be quite useful. That said I'd still go for a new lens first. Tamron 70-300 VC can be had for less than £200 used and would be fantastic. You may even have enough left over for a newer body.... Nikon or Canon or anyone else, I don't think it matters very much.

Back